mysql nightmare

papaschtroumpf

I use apache/php/mysql to run jinzora (www.jinzora.com) as a music server.

I'm trying to re-install jinzora and it craps out when trying to create the database. I think it's because I forgot what users and passwords I used when I installed mysql and created the database (I, know, real smart)

I tried to follw the instructions at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/resetting-permissions.html to reset the mysql root password but it doesn't seem to work:

[root@Mandrake ~]#  kill `cat /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid`
[root@Mandrake ~]# cat mysql-init
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('password');

[root@Mandrake ~]# mysqld_safe --init-file=~/mysql-init &
[1] 30030
[root@Mandrake ~]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
050602 11:11:30  mysqld ended

[1]+  Done                    mysqld_safe --init-file=~/mysql-init
[root@Mandrake ~]# mysql -u root
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
[root@Mandrake ~]# service mysqld start
Starting MySQL:                                                 [  OK  ]
[root@Mandrake ~]# mysql -u root
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
[root@Mandrake ~]#
[root@Mandrake ~]# mysql -u root -p password
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
[root@Mandrake ~]#

I think that the "mysqld_safe --init-file=~/mysql-init &" step doesn't work. Their indtructions seem to imply that mysqld should be running after that step but you can see from my example that it's not. If I start it, it still doesn't seem to want to let me in with the password

Unfortunately I know nothing about mysql so I'm quite lost. I'm not even sure how to re-install mysql and whether that would fix the problem.

i use webmin to admin mysql databases . i am not sure what kind of hole you are digging but i think seeing it GUI style might help . webmin comes in handy for working with LAMP .

see webmin package in /mandrakelinux control center/software management

I've played with jinzora and jinzora2 .setting the database was a little tricky ...last week i grabbed slimserver ..after reading about it in www.linux-magazine .com. i like this one too and it was a snap to install ..even as an rpm ready to rock n roll . you might want to try it . now to start ripping the cd's collecting dust . oh btw i've checked the player/client end and that works great on linux, the player options are many. on windows it worked with winamp and seemed to be a pain using windows media player .

Edited by ddmcse

I need something http based so I can access the music from wherever with a browser and wahtever media player is "hooked in" the browser. Does slimserver do that?

yes slimserver does that

i am still messing with it

i ran into my first issue today installing on MD 10.2 kde3.4 club

none of my other installs did this .. connection refused . this was/is a fresh install that is not set as a server so i checked hosts.allow made changes there and stiill no action . i check the firewall stuff and that was all good so why couldn't i connect via the default port of 9000

ports for

imap was working pop was working webimin was up and ok ...i could vnc in on port 5801 . so wtf !

using /usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl to start instead of /usr/local/slimserver start gave me the clue i needed

a little digging found that some modules needed were'nt there

try

/usr/local/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl

i've installed on

(2) MD 10.1 zero issues but these 2 pc's have been in use for a long time and many of the needed packages have already been installed for other reasons

(1) MD 10.2 needed packages

(1) MD 10.2 kde3.4 needed packages

kaffeine plays them very well