how to install other bits for ATI driver

Guest laksu

Guest laksu

Hi there,

I am trying to run Mandriva Linux LE 2005 for x86_64 on my brand new AMD 3400+ laptop. I have a RADEON 9700 on board. I am not a fan of games necessarily, but the default driver provided with the distribution causes screen artifacts. I also wish to run it on dual-head. There I have downloaded driver from ATI site: fglrx64_6_8_0-8.12.10-1.rpm

When I try to install, it complains about the following, not satisfied:

libstdc++.so.5 is needed by fglrx64_6_8_0-8.12.10-1

libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2) is needed by fglrx64_6_8_0-8.12.10-1

libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by fglrx64_6_8_0-8.12.10-1

I have found and installed some RPMs mentioning libstdc++.so.5 . But still have the same error. My major problem should be with configuring urpmi. I cannot tell which URLs should go into my media configuration. At GUI counterpart of urpmi I choose "Add..." (media). It says it will contact Mandrake to find mirrors. It works well for "Official updates" (so I updated everything) but the "Distribution sources" button takes me to nowhere. It says it cannot find any suitable mirror.

What to do?

Levent Aksu

If you use urpmi /path/to/fglrx64_6_8_0-8.12.10-1.rpm and your main sources are configured, the dependency should get installed automatically.

What does urpmq --list-media give you? I am running the i586 release, so things might be slightly different for you. When I look for the library you need on my release with the urpmi family of tools:

[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmf libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++5:/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++5:/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.6
[rolf@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost rolf]# urpmq --sources libstdc++5
file://mnt/hd//media/main/libstdc++5-3.3.4-4mdk.i586.rpm
ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media
/contrib/libstdc++5-3.3.4-4mdk.i586.rpm

This shows the needed package both in the main sources (on CD1) and in contrib/ for 2005 i586. If I were you, I would look in both places for your architecture. You should already have your main sources configured for urpmi, unless you did urpmi.removemedia -a at some point. If that is the case and the main sources do not show up in the output to urpmq --list-media and you have the CDs or DVD, put disk 1 in the reader and do, as root:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib removable://mnt/cdrom

or whatever is the path to your reader. I think it is best to use the local sources for main than to download from ftp every time you need one of those packages but you could use the ftp source at the configurator at http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ if you wanted.

At Easyurpmi, make sure you select the correct architecture and push the 'Proceed to step 2' and 'Proceed to step 3' buttons to get it to work right. Also, in System > Configuration > Packaging > Software Media Manager, select your configured source and select Edit to check the path to the mirror, to make sure you have the right architecture configured for each of your sources.

Guest laksu

here is the urpmq output:

[root@vahdettin ~]# urpmq --list-media

Download CD (cdrom1)

update_source

updates

plf-nonfree

plf-free

Meawhile I dug into the subject and found out that there ie no listdc++ provided within the standart LE2005 for x86_64 release. I went to Mandrake Cooker and found the following RPMs there:

libstdc++6-3.4.3-7mdk.x86_64.rpm

libstdc++6-devel-3.4.3-7mdk.x86_64.rpm

libstdc++6-static-devel-3.4.3-7mdk.x86_64.rpm

I have them all installed however still the libstdc++.5 is needed. Above RPMS should provide libstdc++6 only. The question becomes: where should I look for libstdc++5 ?

It looks to me like the driver was built for an older version of this library. I don't know what to tell you. Ask ati for a driver built against the new library. Some people try making a link named as the file being sought and pointing to the new file that is installed (and run ldconfig), hoping for backward compatibility, but that is a bit dodgy, IMO. Might or might not work for you.

Did you look at the 10.1 libstdc rpms? If they happen to be the right version (they might or might not install in parallel), you might try to downgrade to that and all dependencies with rpm -Uvh --oldpackage but I doubt that would work. Looks like 2005 is too new for ati's driver.