abiword in MDK 10.1 and KDE

Arne

Hello,

I try to install abiword in Linux since I use this program in XP as well and Ooo is to heavy for my my old PII 266 MHZ.

Run RPM on "abiword-2.2.7-1.1010.1mdk.i586.rpm" I get the following warning:

program name as mentioned above and

"V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 8b9e12ab"

I am new to this and

my question is: what is the meaning of this? does it mean that I should not install abiword to avoid problems with my installation?

Furthermore I get 3 failed dependencies:

libenchant.so.1

libfribidi.so.0

libwv-1.0 so.2

The to last one I have in my packages 10.1 OFFICIAL and can install.

The first one is not in my packages, maybe because I did not install Gnome.

I have tried urpmi but since I have no Internet connection on my Linux machine it's no help. I have a memory stick with FAT to communicate between this machine and the Linux PC

Can anyone tell me where and how I can get "libenchant.so.1" file or do I have to reinstall linux with Gnome included.

Please go easy on me and be detailed and clear. I am 3 weeks into Linux training

Arne

This is on 2005, so there might be differences.

[rolf@localhost ~]$ urpmf libenchant.so 
libenchant1:/usr/lib/libenchant.so.1 
libenchant1:/usr/lib/libenchant.so.1.1.5 
libenchant1-devel:/usr/lib/libenchant.so

Use urpmf <string> to search the urpmi database for a package containing <string>. The more you specify the path to the installed file, the fewer results will be returned by urpmf. If a file description is too specific and urpmf returns nothing, try removing parts of the string a little at a time. I removed the 1 from libenchant.so.1 as libraries get newer version numbers as newer versions of the software are released and this is on a newer Mandriva release than yours. As it turns out, the same library is in 2005.

[rolf@localhost ~]$ su 
Password: 
[root@localhost rolf]# urpmq --sources libenchant1 
ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/contrib/libenchant1-1.1.5-1mdk.i586.rpm

The last command shows this package is in contrib. I use root for urpmq --sources as some ftp sources are password protected and urpmq won't show them to the normal user. You could find a 10.1 contrib repository on one of the mirrors and download this package, put it on the usb key, and use rpm or urpmi with the path to this package on the key as one of the arguments to all the packages you need:

# urpmi abiword /path/to/key/libenchant1-1.1.5-1mdk.i586.rpm 
#rpm -Uvh /path/to/abiword.rpm /path/to/libfribidi0.rpm /path/to/libenchant1.rpm

It might be possible to add a contrib source to your urpmi database on this machine by downloading only the hdlist.cz and using urpmi.addmedia to create a "pseudo-source" on the key. That way, you could use urpmf and urpmq to find out where the packages are, download them to the key, and install what you need. You could use the configurator at Easyurpmi to find mirrors and see the path to the hdlist.cz. The plf-free and plf-nonfree contain some good packages, also. See man urpmi.addmedia or ask back here if you want to try this.

Rolf,

The first 2 searches confirmed its not in my packages. Then I go:

Index of /ftp/mirror/mandrake/official/10.1/i586/media/contrib where I find this:

Libenchant1-1.1.2-3mdk.i586.rpm

Now I will try to install the dependencies and then abiword.

I will report back to you with the result.

I am grateful for your response and help.

Arne

Rolf,

Running rpm libenchant gives the same Warning as for rpm abiword and then

Failed dependencies:

enchant = 1.1.2 is needed by Libenchant1-1.1.2-3mdk

"Man enchant" gives no manual entry for enchant.

Sorry this is totally "Latin" for me. How many backwards dependencies have to be solved to get abiword working.

Any tip or advice will be appreciated

Arne

# urpmq --sources enchant
ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/contrib/enchant-1.1.5-1mdk.i586.rpm

The dependency-resolving abilities of urpmi require that urpmi "know" of the packages that resolve dependencies. That is, a "source" (containing dependencies and other package information in the hdlist.cz file) must have been added to the urpmi system with urpmi.addmedia on the command line or with the gui frontend, software sources manager.

In your situation, with no internet connection to the machine, I can only imagine downloading the whole contrib mirror locally and and putting it on CD or transferring it to this computer or, as I suggested, maybe getting the hdlist.cz onto your machine will enable you to more easily determine what are the needed packages.

Hello Rolf,

I had to do something else for a couple of days.

I have found an "enchant....." On the mirror site you showed me in your last reply. I will try to install this and if no other dependencies turns up I will proceed with the abiword installation.

Actually I have a soft modem in my Thinkpad 600 namely mwave. I have tried before to install it but at that time I totally unfamiliar the command in Konsoll.

I think I should try to install it again since it vill allow me to use urpmi and I have to do it sooner or later anyway.

I will keep you posted.

Arne

Hello Rolf,

Abiword is up and running smoothly. I installed 5 dependencies first and then abiword.

I am still working on the modem issue.

So for my understanding. It looks like these dependencies are some sort of Linux drivers or ad-ons or both. I wonder if this drivers/ad-ons could be included in the application itself thereby ease installation of new application. Make it easier for new-bees as well. So why are they not? or rather what is the reason for this approach?

When I was coming down to the last dependencies each of the last two when running "rpm -i" was referring to the other one as needed so I had to force the installation with "--nodep" on one of them. Does this mean that either of them could be installed first, or what.......

Please explain it will help me get Linux under my skin.

Any way thank's your help, it was a small victory for me.

Arne

Many of these dependencies are libraries or shared objects (.so files) that can be used by more than one program, like dynamically linked libraries (.dll's) in Windows. They can be compiled into the program (statically-linked) but this makes the program larger, which, when these files are needed by a number of programs, makes a distro (> 4 G for a Mandriva Power Pack, not including Club apps, PLF, etc.) quickly impractically large.

http://www.answers.com/topic/library-computer-science

It is a bad idea to use --force or --nodeps with rpm, unless you are sure it will do no harm. The usual outcome is a broken system, as dependencies mean just that, they are needed for the software to work. In this case, I think it was allright, as the dependency was installed, ultimately. The clean way to resolve 'circular dependencies' is to give multiple arguments to rpm:

rpm -ivh /path/to/package1.rpm /path/to/package2.rpm

You can also give a list of packages to urpmi. In fact, when some of the dependencies are known to urpmi, you can give the main package as one argument, which gets the known dependencies installed automatically, and a list of paths to the dependencies that urpmi doesn't have in its sources database:

urpmi abiword /path/to/dependency1.rpm /path/to/dependency2.rpm