Kmail Opening Server?

lakelover

I configured Kmail for imap to access mail on my ISP server before downloading. It's working fine (I think) but I'm not confident that I'm actualling seeing email on the server before it's downloaded to my computer. What I want to do is view email on the server in order to delete unwanted mail before downloading. I think that's what I'm getting but, as I say, I'm not confident and don't know how to verify that action. So, that's my question: Is what I'm seeing actually mail on the server? Is that a dumb question or what? I'm obviously a newbie at this game.

Well, um, it's a bit like the classic philosophical simulation problem (a perfect simulation is by definition the thing itself...) if you're seeing the entire email then you have, in some form, downloaded it. This is just logically true. Could you be a little more precise on what you're actually looking for here? Are you wanting to view the headers on the server and download only the email you actually want to read? If so, then yes, you're already doing this, as it's how IMAP works (it accesses the content when you ask for it, it's not pre-cached).

Are you wanting to view the headers on the server and download only the email you actually want to read? If so, then yes, you're already doing this, as it's how IMAP works (it accesses the content when you ask for it, it's not pre-cached).

I knew it was a dumb question, but yes that's what I want to do: view headers on the server, down load what I want and delete the unwanted. I do that with Pocomail on Windows. What throws me is that I am seeing the content with IMAP on Kmail. That's okay if I'm not actually downloading the content. It comes in so fast, that I feel it is on the server and has not be downloaded. My question seems to go in circles :thanks:

Checking server headings before downloading is how I eleminate spam and potential infected email's.

Actually, I don't want to be too definitive - it's possible for a client to pre-download from an IMAP server and keep temporary local copies of the mail, if it wants. Kmail might do this. Let me see...

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56021

If I'm reading that bug report right, KDE downloads the mail from the server at the point you open it _or_, if you have the preview pane enabled, at the point you select it (in order to display it in the preview pane). So if you disable the preview pane, I think kmail will only be downloading the headers until you open the mail. I'm just working this all out second-hand, I run GNOME without KDE installed so I can't test easily. Sorry.