What do these programs have in common?

Urza9814

Ok...what do these progs have in common?

OOo

MCC

Mozilla

Firefox

Epiphany

URPMI

and some VNC prog (not sure the name...not tightVNC)

The reason I'm asking is I did something...and they all went away. Wouldn't be too bad if I hadn't lost mcc and urpmi...but...without them I can't see how I can do ANYTHING (well, other than DLing all the RPMs...but that'd be annoying and it woudln't fix the urpmi/mcc problem). I was messing around, trying to get irssi to work...screwing with perl and ssl, and I gave up, and tried to go to rpmdrake for some other stuff (not sure exactly what actually...lol)...and it didn't work. So I tried mcc...didn't work...so I tried 'em in konsole...said command not found. I logged out and back in (usually fixes screwy problems like these...had a lot on 10.1)...and now they aren't even on the (KDE) menu anymore. The only thing I can get out of any of them is from URPMI:

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

so...did I screw up perl? And is there any way to fix it, short of a reinstall (tried one without formatting but it locked up)

if I have to reformat I suppose I should anyways...go back to 9.2...10.1's been causing so many problems for me...9.2 never gave me any...I suppose I could try 10.2...but...I wouldn't have enough CDs :P

Edited by Urza9814

Guest thirtyeast

I can't say what happened, but one thing all those have in common is PERL, as in scripts. All use perl scripts to run. If Perl is damaged, so are they. Try reinstalling/upgrading perl?? I am not an expert.. just a common sense kinda guy. ('course, they all have bash scripts too.. I'm guessing bash works fine (no errors loging in to a terminal?)

enjoy

bobby

aight...I went into the mandrake download page, installed perl from there, and now urpmi works...but...I still don't have mcc...anyone know how I can get that back? I'm going to search the rpms on that page for the mcc rpms, but I have a feeling that's gonna take a while and a lot of packages...anyone have any better ideas?

edit: ahh...I see...I have to urpmi draktools...getting rpmdrake right now...whose dependancies seem to be causing a buncha the other ones to be installed too.

ok...I installed all that stuff...and I installed every package on the site that said 'drake', but I still don't have mcc...though I have most of the apps individually, so...I guess it's ok...but I'd really like to have the real mcc back...lol

edit2:

aight, that's it, I'm formatting...something is seriously wrong here:

[root@localhost urza9814]# urpmi mozilla
Everything already installed
[root@localhost urza9814]# mozilla
bash: mozilla: command not found
[root@localhost urza9814]# urpmi epiphany
[root@localhost urza9814]# epiphany
bash: epiphany: command not found
[root@localhost urza9814]# rpmdrake
bash: rpmdrake: command not found
[root@localhost urza9814]# urpmi rpmdrake
[root@localhost urza9814]# urpmi mozilla-firefox
[root@localhost urza9814]# mozilla-firefox
bash: mozilla-firefox: command not found

Edited by Urza9814

Urza, I like your style.

You just bit the bullet and reinstalled.

That is the message I try to get across but most seem to prefer the hardest way, saying that is how they learn. Mostly masochists, I think. :joker::joker::joker:

Cheers. John.

Meh...nothing else worked, and reformatting isn't that big of a deal for me...I have two partitions, / and /home, so I only formatted /, and everything's working now...lost any root config files, but that's really just my xmms playlist (I load a lotta songs from my windoze drives, so I run xmms as root)

And chances are it was only a minor issue with your $PATH variable.

if it wasnt the $PATH variable and it was damaged packages and the files werent actually there, you could have always run Steve Scrimpshire's automagic fix it script.

reinstalling seems to be the harder alternative.

reinstalling really isn't that hard...do you people not use a separate /home? It makes it soo much simpler...I just ran the installer...took about 20 minutes...and all my settings were still there, all my files were still there, no backing up needed...I lost a few apps, but those weren't that hard to replace...

I don't think it was a $PATH thing, it was a 'you broke perl, you fool!' thing. You can fix a broken perl, but only if you have an afternoon to spare and some happy pills. Reinstalling definitely was the easy way out here. :)

Or you could have run steves automagical fix it script.

reinstall is never the solution :)