MadWifi, Toshiba, LE2005

Guest Darknb

Guest Darknb

I have: Toshiba Satellite A75 S206 running the 10.2 LE 2005 version of mandrake

I took the kernel source off cd 3 and rpm'd it to /usr/src/ and then downloaded madwifi, because this laptop has an aetheros wifi. I did 'make' in the madwifi directory and it went through the install process fine. The Readme says to 'modprobe ath_pci', i tried that and it responded 'fatal error: no such file or directory...' so i tried insmod which gave me a diffrent error citing: 'symbols missing' which as i understand it means that ath_pci needs other modules loaded and is why you would use modprobe because it checks for and loads the needed modules. I tried the command depmod -a to set up a modules database, but recieved the same results. I am very new(installed linux just two nights ago) and i dont know if this makes a diffrence, but /lib/modules/ has a directory linux-2.6.11-6mdksmp/ while the source files are in the directory in /usr/src/ as linux-2.6.11-6mdk/. Does this mean the i have the wrong source for me kernel or is this of no consquence, noting that these were the sources supplied with 10.2 LE 2005 cd3.

Edited by Darknb

had the same problem.... It's because the kernel source has your module directory set to

/lib/modules/'kernel version'custom

..if you want to get this working move /lib/modules/"kernel version"custom/net to /lib/modules/"kernel version"

This will put the modules somewhere that the kernel can see them. I also ran a depmod -a, not sure if that was needed or not.

Now you should be able to modprobe ath_pci without problems.

Hope this makes sense to you.. Write back if not.

Guest Darknb

I did not see 'custom' unless you mean the those three letters 'smp' at the end. How ever I tried to:

mv /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp/kernel/net

to

/lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdksmp

in case that is what you ment but I did not get any better results from that unless I am misunderstanding the meaning of custom here.

Hmm.. No, I meant 'custom'....

The Makefile in the linux source dir has an option EXTRAVERSION = -6mdkcustom which causes some modules to be placed in this module directory.

For example, when I did a make install for my madwifi drivers, they ended up in

/lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdkcustom instead of /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk

I simply moved /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdkcustom/net to /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk and everything worked fine.

EDIT::

If the compile went okay for you, you could mkdir the 'net' directory I mentioned and place the following files in there:

[root@nimba greg]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.11-6mdk/net/

ath_hal.ko ath_rate_onoe.ko wlan_ccmp.ko wlan_tkip.ko wlan_xauth.ko

ath_pci.ko wlan_acl.ko wlan.ko wlan_wep.ko

Edited by xxbeanxx