setup http proxy

papaschtroumpf

I'm not sure I explained what I want to do properly:

I want to set up my machine like some of the anonymous proxy servers out there (virtualbrowser for example) so that I can connect from anywhere (work, the library,...) to my server and be able to browse any site, even one that is blacklisted on the network I'm connecting from (work, the library, ...)

I'm not sure I explained what I want to do properly:

I want to set up my machine like some of the anonymous proxy servers out there (virtualbrowser for example) so that I can connect from anywhere (work, the library,...) to my server and be able to browse any site, even one that is blacklisted on the network I'm connecting from (work, the library, ...)

you want it to act as an anon proxy, are you not afraid that it may be used by others for their monkey business of whatever that could harm other and then your host will become the suspect.?.. well, just a thought that it could happen like that B)

or maybe am just paranoid about it :P

Edited by aioshin

you want it to act as an anon proxy, are you not afraid that it may be used by others for their monkey business of whatever that could harm other and then your host will become the suspect.?.. well, just a thought that it could happen like that  B)

or maybe am just paranoid about it  :P

That's why I may put it behing ssh.

I so some volunteer work with some kids and the content filtering is uber-tight there. Once in a while there is a lull where I'd like to check on a few sites (heck even CNN is blocked).

Squid seems like almost too much

looks like CGIproxy is more lightweight and what I want, but I'd have to run Apache too. I'd prefer a standalone app.