Can't install software from cds in control centre

bs_wm

Hello,

Ok i tryed to install software from the control centre in software mangement. I select the software and it asks me to change medium. I do that but it keeps asking me to do it. I keep pressing ok but still come up. I keep repeating the instuctions, putiing cd in 10 times in a row and still it asks for the cd.

Please Help

Cheers

Bob

Is the software that you are trying to install on one of the installation set of cdroms or is it on a cdrom not associated with the installation set ????

If it is not one of the install cdroms then copy the application rpm to the desktop and start it from there so that when it asks for one of the install cdroms then you can do just that,.....What it is attempting to do is install some dependency/s necessary for the program that you are trying to install.

But make sure the number of the cdrom is the correct one it is asking for. I am suspecting that this is where the problem originates.

Please let me know more details of what you are trying to install.

Cheers. John.

Hello,

I have the full set of 4 cds of mandrake 10.1. Lets choose 'wine' (please note it happens with other programs (i have used mcc to install software but sometimes its just plays up)). I do the normal thing in mcc. It then ask for cdrom2. I insert cdrom2, it asks agin. I click ok, but asks again. Ok i take the cd out put it back in, but it asks again. I explore cdrom2 and it has the following;

file:/mnt/cdrom/chkauth-0.3-2mdk.noarch.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/chromium-0.9.12-23mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/clanbomber-1.05-3mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/cleanfeed-0.95.7b-13mdk.noarch.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/crack-attack-music-1-3mdk.noarch.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/csmash-0.6.6-4mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/cspctl-1.0.6-1mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/cvs-1.11.17-2mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/cvsweb-2.0.6-5mdk.noarch.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/cxhextris-1.0-28mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/dia-0.94-2mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/digikam-0.6.2-3mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/directory_administrator-1.5.1-2mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/ee-0.3.12-12mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/emacs-21.3-15mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/emacs-X11-21.3-15mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/envy24control-1.0.6-1mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/epiphany-1.2.8-4mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/epplets-0.7-6mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/Eterm-0.9.2-6mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/evolution-data-server-1.0.1-2mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/faces-1.6.1-21mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/faces-xface-1.6.1-21mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/fetchmail-6.2.5-5mdk.i586.rpm

file:/mnt/cdrom/file-roller-2.6.2-2mdk.i586.rpm

Does it have anything resembling 'wine'. Could it be my vendor has given my bad set of cds. So you say i could take any of the above above rpm to my desktop and install it from there but what about dependencies.

Please help

Thanks

Bob

PS; AussieJohn. Are you an Aussie, if so are you looking faward to the ASHES.

Yes I am a fellow Aussie. See my avatar at the side.

Do you by any chance happen to have two cdrom devices e.g.

A DVD/cdrom and a DVDor cdrom burner. When you install you can install from either one and that is OK.

However when the Mandrake/Mandriva asks you to insert a cdrom No.?? then it must be inserted in the device that is closest to the First Hard drive (namely hda which is primary master)(this is regardless of whether your Mandriva/Mandrake is on some other harddrive other than primary master) i.e.hdb (primary slave) or hdc (secondary master).

If you only have one device then I need to know more of your system setup hardware wise.

I presume now then that you are trying to install from the original cdrom set so in that case do not use the copy to desk procedure but continue to use MCC to install the program because it will sort out the dependency issues.

Anyway please tell of your hardware set up.

Cheers John.

Hello,

I have a singal combi drive (CD-RW/DVD).

It is; SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F [CD-ROM drive]

If there is a command in the console to bring up useful info about my hardware set-up.

(

Other hardware:

motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 7VT600-RZ

hardrive - 80gb Maxtor 6Y080L0

proceser - 3000 AMD Athlon XP

)

Please note the mcc install sometimes works but other time it just plays up and can get frustarting.

Thank You

Bob

PS; of course 'mcc' refers to mandrake control centre not mcc at Lords.

Please tell me the exact routine you are using to try and install a program, and I mean exact detail. Describe each and every step you are using.

If you wish, you can send it to me via a PM. To do this, look at the bottom left side of my post for...... PM ... Click on it and you are able to send me a personal email. I think there is something missing in what you are doing.

Looking to hearing from you. John.

Hello,

PROBLEM SOLVED

Thank You, Thank You very much, you are a genius.

Basically i went to update media, clicked on the boxes and pressed update.

Although the cdroms where not in order (1, 2, 3etc) and you had an error message on mounting or something. When i finished and tryed to instal 'Wine'. It worked like the old days.

Well the reason it may play up may be the way i update my mandrake, i will not touch the cds media (even though it says update).

I have installed multimedia software. May try using wine.

Basically it just works (like the old days).

Cheers

Bob

PS; England have have a good emerging team and may challange you for the first time in ages.