LE 2005 6 cd

ddmcse

i've installed LE 2005 on 3 machines so far

p4 2.0 intel mb 512mg nvidia gforce ide hd

pII 500mhz ibm 600x 512 mg laptop w/wireless

pII 400 +/- mhz 256mg intel810 graphics HP brio pc

i've never had any issues with the nvidia card with any distro i've installed on the p4 and LE 2005 was no different . i am not a gamer so what do i know about a graphics card anyway, but it seems to work fine and the TV out works .

the wireless has been a hassle with most distros on the laptop however LE 2005 made it a non-issue . no extra drivers,no ndiswrapper ..nothing . Orinoco PCMCIA. i plugged in a linksys (WMP11 - Wireless-B PCI Adapter v4 )and it didn't work right off the bat like the Orinoco so i moved right to the usb linksys (USB12 ) and that one was a no braniner like the orinoco . so i am happy with wireless.

the option of using ndiswrapper in mcc gives joe a better shot at getting wireless to work .

playing encrypted dvds is much easier than before, but maybe i just got better information for this run

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5644

i like the download manager that allows you to slip right into installing a just downloaded rpm .

the sound of broken glass when getting errors is scary at first but kinda cool in the end.

the logon sound is cool

the star eyed tux is questionable just like the mandriva name . stars and names change just as long as the product is good .

the zoom in from the left program menu is cool i guess but it reminds me of memphis97

i like the gnome/Fedora looking welcome screen .

the issue of losing the mouse after reboot when using a "higher" security setting that was still in 10.2 rx seems to be resovled ,but thinking about it now i didn't choose "higher" with these 3 installs i went with the default "high" setting .

firefox is the default browser , i like mozilla better for some things but i do like the latest headlines and the way opening a page in a new tab just opens the new tab and keeps me on the current page .

VPN'ing options are working better for me

desktop/behaviour/device icons looks like it's working better

i haven't had a great deal of time to try "everything" or much of anything but i do like what i've seen so far .

gdesklets /weather ... almost works ...it doesn't crash gdesklets and shows a display just no data so it might be workable now .

i don't see why openoffice 2.0 isn't default or closer to it . 1.1.4 seems so old after using 1.1.9

i haven't ran into anything thats been dropped yet

i.e. for everything you gain you lose something ,,,but again i've only used it for a couple of days . i've been stuck on mandrake since 8.x , tried many others but keep coming back .

i think LE2005 is worth the d/l and look forward to seeing whats in store for 2006