Mandrake 10.1 and XP Pro boot problem

Guest igeldard

Guest igeldard

:help:

I have a freshly installed XP Pro setup with 20Gb C:\ and another 20Gb E:\ (both NTFS) on a new 80Gb HD on a mobo with a fairly new BIOS (Abi NF7-S). That booted fine. Ive just tried installing Mandrake 10.1 from CD and all seemed to be OK except that now XP wont boot.

I installed Grub (0.95) on /dev/hda, but when it boots I get the menu:

linux

linux-nonfb

failsafe

windows

windows1

Selecting 'windows' I get:

Booting 'windows'

root (hd0,0)

Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7

chainlaoder +1

I can boot Mandrake and get into the control centre to look at boot options and can see that my other choices (from a default installation) are:

/dev/hda5

/dev/hda6

/dev/hda7

Now where do I go from here? Fix the XP boot with fixmbr or play with they Grub boot options? How can I get both to boot?

Ian (UK)

did you create a separate partition before you install mndk? during the installation, you should been ask to partition manually or automatic, if you choose the automatic, mndk will be the one to decide which partition to use... or maybe those hda5-7 are not mounted, try to mount them from the mcc - partition option = mount points, it should be detected as ntfs if those are still the partitions containing you xp...

Guest igeldard

Yes, Mandrake (Community) made its own parts using the automatic setup ...

I've now tried to fix XP using fixmbr, bootfix and bootcfg /rebuild. None of them worked. So I reformatted and tried a complete reintstall ... xp made some new parts but now hangs on reboot with a "Missing operating system" message

First step here will be to check your partition table. As Aioshin asked where did you install Windows on the re-install. You should have a number of partitions, assuming win c is hda1 and wine is hda2 and then your Linux partitions. You should be able to boot from the Linux disk 1 in rescue and in console run fdisk /dev/hda and print your partition table. Also as a rule if you want to share data between Windows and Linux you should use Fat32, say for Win \E on your setup.