K3B turns ISO 9660 image into UDF disk (solved)

Kjel Oslund

I 'm attempting to burn a set of MDK 10.2 RC2 ISO's with K3B. In the past I've use xcdroast, but the current version no longer recoginzes my LG DVD-R CD-R/W drive as a writer, so I used K3B instead this time. (I know it's a *much* better program than xcdroast, but not being a KDE user xcdroast was what I started with and since it worked it kept on using it).

The burning of CD1 seemed simple enough and it reported that the write was successful, but the disk failed K3B's validation test. I poped it back in anyways and let the system mount it. Instead of seeing an ISO 9660 disk, mount reported this:

/dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type udf (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,user=kjel)

Note that the filesystem type is UDF, not ISO 9660. I checked some of the ISOs I've burned previously and they all show as ISO 9660 disks. I can browse the UDF disk via the shell, but Nautilus hangs when it attempts to read it.

Anybody know what's going on?

I'm running cooker, up-to-date.

Edited by Kjel Oslund

I've found part of the answer. The RC2 ISO appear to have been created as UDF images rather than the traditional ISO 9660 images. When the images on disk are mounted as loopback file system mount declares them to be UDF as well. The 10.1-OE images are mounted as ISO 9660, distinctly different. Tools such as file(1) have not been updated to identify UDF specifically. The RC2 ISO's are probably in UDF-Bridge format that seems to be compatible with IS0 9660.

Now on to the real problem, am I getting bad burns from K3B with latest cooker versions, or is something else wrong with this release? :wall:

In case anyone is interested, the problem turned out to be the media. I'd used a brand of CD-R that I hadn't tried before (Memorex 700MB 48x). Several coasters later I found out that I could burn discs smaller that 700MB, but the RC2 ISO all failed. I guess they were too close to the limits for that brand. I bought a pack of Verbatim discs, the brand I've used before and I was able to burn the RC2 ISO successfully.

I found out a few other things while solving this problem. GnomeBaker works well: its much like K3B at the UI level, but doesn't have a disc verify option nor does it give you as much control over the burn parameters. Nautilus-cd-burn doesn't work at all, it fails at the point that it puts up its burn progress dialogue. I got xcdroast to finally recognize my drive correctly (had to uninstall and then reinstall it), but it doesn't like Gnome's automount features. It won't work unless you unmount a blank disc before starting it. It also can't eject or load a disc from the UI, something it used to be able to do.