log-in prompt problem

New2MDK

It seems that if my PC is turned off for a night or so, usually only when I'm not around, then I do boot up the next day or when I return, the boot process is fine. Then it take 1-5 minutes for the login prompt to appear. Then, after I sign in, it takes another few minutes for the desktop to appear and usually signs in at around 80%, not having restored everything (such as the taskbar, start menu. Maybe after 5 or so minutes that stuff will appear, but from that point, everything runs like junk. So I reboot it, then there is absolutely no problem. I never shut down my PC unless I know I'll be gone for a day or two or longer. Does anyone know how to avoid this, other than just not shutting down.

Thank you,

New2MDK

are you using KDE? if yes, when successfully login, or boot even at the shell, try to rename the .kde folder under you home folder "/home/you/.kde" then reboot, i've tried it in my pc when something strange happened upon loading the desktop, though it solves it, but your desktop will be back to default settings

are you using KDE? if yes, when successfully login, or boot even at the shell, try to rename the .kde folder under you home folder "/home/you/.kde" then reboot, i've tried it in my pc when something strange happened upon loading the desktop, though it solves it, but your desktop will be back to default settings

Yes, sorry

I am using KDE. I will add that line and see what happens this weekend, which is when I'm usually gone.

Thank you

New2MDK

On the slow boots, is your network running?

Next time it happens, type /sbin/ifconfig into a shell and take a look at the results. I had a similar problem with performance if the DHCP lease wasn't renewed correctly; it seems that a lot of programs want to know the computer's own IP address and if it doesn't have one then it takes a while to time out.

On a reboot, it may then correctly reinitialize the network subsystem and work from then on (for a while) until the DHCP lease expires again.

If you're on a home network behind a router, try setting up a static IP address - that's what I did.