Copy source files to hard disk

Guest rsliberty

Guest rsliberty

Gday all,

I am using Mandrake 10.1, I am wondering if it is possible to copy the installation CD's to the hard disk after the installation has been completed.

Has anyone achieved this? Any tips would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

welcome.

By now there are many updates to the files on your CD's. What you may want to do is use Easyurpmi and set sources main and contrib so you can get the files from the internet or download them all from the ftp mirrors. At this point you would find that there are hundreds of mbs of updates.

You can also open the cd's with konqueror and drag the rpms to wherever you want. You will then have to add a local repository via urpmi pointing to where you copied the files.

If you have good bandwidth I recommend that you use the ftp mirrors main and contrib. You can then remove your CD sources if I am correct.

Gday all,

I am using Mandrake 10.1, I am wondering if it is possible to copy the installation CD's to the hard disk after the installation has been completed.

Has anyone achieved this? Any tips would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

yes, am doin what you'd like to do, coz I dont have a cdrom in my pc, and it takes a bandwidth to install from ftp or http source, so what i did was, I copied the rpms of those disk1-3, I created a folder name mdkRPMS then created 3 folders named disk1, disk2, disk3, well you can decide what ever name you like, then put in there the corresponding rpm including their hdlist file and add it using drakrpm-edit-media.. anyway, heres my urmpi.cfg when done adding those

# generated Mon Mar 28 11:19:48 2005

{

}

cd3 file://mnt/other02/mandrake10-1rpms/disk3/main3 {

hdlist: hdlist.cd3.cz

synthesis

update

with_hdlist: media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

}

cd2 file://mnt/other02/mandrake10-1rpms/disk2 {

hdlist: hdlist.cd2.cz

synthesis

update

}

cd1 file://mnt/other02/mandrake10-1rpms/disk1/main {

hdlist: hdlist.cd1.cz

synthesis

update

}

I included the folder media_info inside the folder that contains the rpms

Read my website, config page.

I've been doing this for quite some time -and the new and upcoming Mdk 10.2 / Limited Edition 2005 will be even easier: you can now install from hd or copy all cd contents to hd during installation if you choose to do so, there's a prompt during the first steps of the installation.