File manager [solved]

Guest CDBob2000

Guest CDBob2000

Does Mandrake come with a GUI file manager like windows XP has???

If so where and what is it called...........

I would like to look at the hard drive contents to get a feel for what is on it and I don't know the command line to do that yet.... If we where talking DOS I know that very well... DOS combined with the file manager you can do allot things by hand......

If it doesn't have one where can I get one.,,,

and how would I install it

I have never installed anything but the 6CD's and downloaded the updates

Thanks mac!

Yep, its called Konqueror. Click on the "house" icon in the bottom left of the task bar.

If you want to browse /edit root files then in a consol type (or use the run command) :

kdesu

If you are looking for a good dual pane file manager, I would strongly recommend Krusader, for which MDK has an available rpm. For the more xterm/konsole inclined, I would recommend the venerable and VERY powerful Midnight Commander (executable is called "mc"). Both are excellent dual pane file managers, a paradigm I find much more usable than the typical Windows single pane plus tree file manager. Konqueror will do dual pane too, but it is not as obvious - Konqueror will do multi pane in fact - it can be useful.

Guest CDBob2000

OK thanks for the info.... Now I can play

LOL from reading other post there is a way to select which one boots KDE or Gnome

So you are all safe I loaded them all when I installed the OS...

Right now it is starting up on KDE so I'll start with Konqueror

then I'll switch to Gnome and try Nautilus

Thanks Mac!

Guest CDBob2000

N/T

Found what I was looking for................

DOH on me now I have to figure out how to install it.............

Mac!

Edited by CDBob2000

Guest CDBob2000

I'm back on windows XP and that is where I'm going to stay I finally have fingered out LINUX is a want-ta-be programmer area,,,,

I hate LINUX with a passion... all it does for me is F_ up all the time ever time I play with it........

This time I open Nautilus and it open the first time.. after I close it it now gives the hour glass and fizzle out .....

even after a reboot it will not open so I'm going to stick with windows XP........

Thanks for the help but I get to pissed off at LINUX there was no call for it not to open ..........

Edited by CDBob2000

Please don't leave in such a bad mood...

Sometimes, Linux autoconfigures almost everything automagically, and runs everything smoothly (that's the case on 2 out of my 3 PCs).

But sometimes, a little thing (often hardware related, or because of an unusual installation) is enough to break a lot of things, mostly big programs like evolution, or Nautilus (can't speak for KDE: I don't use it).

I have a hell of a lot of such difficulties with 1 of my 3 PCs (I doubt I'll buy VIA again...) but I know that it is not Linux' fault. Hardware vendors hardly ever write drivers for Linux, so the community has to do the work. And when the hardware vendors do make drivers, it's often (not always; eg: NVidia) crapy half-finished proprietary software... Who is to blame then?

Withstanding the difficulties I encounter with this one PC, I can tell you that Linux has always proved up to the task for my wife and I, for office work, running servers, programming, anything we want to do!

There's no shame in leaving now, considering the difficulties you seem to have. I just hope you'll come back to Linux one day, and try again.

Good bye,

Yves.

CDBob2000

You never gave Linux a chance did you? Its always easy to just give up but i always think doing that is a failure on my part.

Comming from a windoze background to Linux is always going to be difficult, i had a hell of a time trying to get to grips with it myself, but found it well worth the time and effort.

And no, Linux is not just for programmers or computers geeks. Maybe it used to be but not anymore.

Try again please, help is always available to you.

Maybe you would like to try a distro like Apt or Debian or Gentoo as well - because in these distros you tell Linux how your system works and what you want it to do, instead of it guessing. The distros, like Mandrake, that guess things for you will never be able to achieve a 100% success rate at doing it.

And are the problems you had in Linux really worse then having to worry about viruses in Windows? And adware? Spybots? All those things that you would never have to think about in Linux? How many times has Windows crashed? Programs crashed in Windows? What about when things just won't work - for no reason? In Linux there will always be a reason - always be a solution.

Linux is about choice - it can take up as much space on your machine as you want it to, look however you want it to, be completely tweaked and customised. So give it more time, and dismiss those thoughts about it being for wanna-be programmers only.

Heck, I'm a music journalist! And before that a radio DJ! I have never coded in my life - yet Linux is my OS of choice.