how to go back to a previous configuration...

pestekkorna

Here I am again... I'm sorry to bother you. Here is my problem:

Yesterday night I followed the instructions to update some rpms to the cooker versions with the rpmdrake... Everything was fine but since then, when I try to launch MCC, k3b and even the urpmi in the terimal don't work no more...

here is the message I get when I launch urpmi in the shell as a root:

[gennaro@localhost gennaro]$ su

[root@localhost gennaro]# urpmi k3b

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux

/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 22.

[root@localhost gennaro]#

:o

I would like to return to the old configuration, the one I had before my great idea of the updating... but I don't know how to do and if it is possible.

Is there someone who can help me?

I have a 10.1 powerpack on a p4.

ah! before I forget: I also lost the icon of the connection in the panel (fortunaley the connection is still alive).

:)

thank you and have a nice day,

peste

Looks a bit messy eh? think i would go for broke here, run urpmi --auto-select and upgrade everything on cooker. Its on a freeze at the moment so you could be OK.

thank you for your answer...

I just tried to do what you suggested... here it is what I get.

I start to think that I should format and reinstall everything... Even if I'd like not to.

:wall:

[root@localhost gennaro]# urpmi --auto-select

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm li ne 16.

peste from italy

Try running in a consol:

urpmi urpmi

If that fails see if urpmi is still installed with:

rpm -qa | grep urpmi

If urpmi is installed then run:

urpmi drakconf

or /and

urpmi rpmdrake

Try running in a consol:

urpmi urpmi

If that fails see if urpmi is still installed with:

rpm -qa | grep urpmi

If urpmi is installed then run:

urpmi drakconf

or /and

urpmi rpmdrake

:oops: thank you again...

that's what I get...

[root@localhost gennaro]# urpmi urpmi

/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm li

ne 16.

[root@localhost gennaro]# rpm -qa | grep urpmi

gurpmi-4.5-29.1.101mdk

urpmi-4.5-29.1.101mdk

[root@localhost gennaro]# urpmi drakconf

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /us r/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm li ne 16.

[root@localhost gennaro]# urpmi rpmdrake

/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/urpm.pm line 16.

I also tried to remove all the packages and to install the perl pack which seems to be missing but I find a lot of dependencies problems... I also tried to use the nodeps command but I didn't solve my problem...

:(

thank you the same...

peste

Hmmm......thats often the price of playing with cooker. If you choose to reinstall, then format all but your /home partition that will at least save your data.

If you feel like trying something else, Download perl-URPM from cooker and install with

rpm -Uvh perl-URPM-(version rpm)

Hmmm......thats often the price of playing with cooker. If you choose to reinstall, then format all but your /home partition that will at least save your data.

If you feel like trying something else,  Download perl-URPM from cooker and  install with

rpm -Uvh perl-URPM-(version rpm)

I know... I should stop playing with those things... but you know, it's stronger than me. I would have had kde3.4 and the new kernel and reading the other topics and the how to guides it didn't seem to be hard to follow and go through the whole thing... and in effect. but then, after downloading 104 packages (and consider that I chose not to take the kernel ones) when It was about to install them there was an error with some dependencies and the whole "processus" went down. I didn't think to start it again but the damage was already done.

:unsure:

you told me to save the /home directory. is it something I choose when the installation arrives at the partitions point?

;)

excuse me for my questions that may sound stupid. cause they really are.

;)

thank you for your patience.

Peste

Yes, at the installation choose custom install . This will show you how your partitions are set up. Keep everything as it is, but at the next screen telling you what partitions are going to be formated, make sure /home is not ticked or checked.

Downloading Cooker perl, perl-base, perl-URPM and urpmi packages and installing them with rpm -Uvh would fix the immediate issue, at which point you should immediately update everything to Cooker state with --auto-select. But yes, this is a perfect example of why messing with Cooker media is bad ;). It's possible but messy to roll back from Cooker to an earlier stable version - you can't automate it, you basically have to download the earlier versions of all the packages and install them manually with rpm -Uvh --oldpackage . Reinstalling is usually less hassle.