How to Install Lilo - latest beta?

lets-eat-gary

Hi people.

Can any one give me any pointers to installing the latest Lilo beta version from http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo/

I don't want to use the packages from Mandrake cooker as they are not as new as the beta version on the above site.

The reason I want the beta is due to the fact that every version of Lilo I have installed gives my a

'lilo timestamp mismatch' error . I am hoping that the latest beta version has fixed this.

My 'work around' at present is to use Grub. (I have Win XP, Mandrake 10.1, Fedora 3, Yoper 2.1 (Yoper is the fastest OS BTW) all which work from Grub, but I want to try reiser 4 and grub doesn't support it yet. Lilo also looks prettier.

Any help in installing the latest Lilo beta (or any ideas how to fix the lilo timestamp error) would be most welcomed.

Cheers.

I have the same problem on my HTPC. By any chance do you use an Asus board? Mine is an A7N8X-E Deluxe, and the problem started when I updated the BIOS to 1013. Previously it booted perfectly, now I get the timestamp error on about 80% of boots. I just have to keep rebooting till it works. It's frustrating as heck.

On principle, it would be just like most pieces of software - download, build, then run it. lilo doesn't really have hooks deep into the system or anything, it just reads lilo.conf then writes a bunch of bytes to the start of the disk and that's about it. I've never tried, though. Yeah, I keep meaning to switch to grub but never get around to it :). Have you tried any of the hacked BIOSes? uber etc? Do they change anything?