mklivecd installation

javaguy

I'm trying to follow the instructions for mklivecd using the 10.1 community edition, which comes with mklivecd as a package.

The how-to over at http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10855&hl=livecd says I need to replace my kernel with kernel-tmb-2.6.7-2, but that's describing how to do it with 10.0. Do I still have to do this if I'm trying to make a livecd for 10.1?

On the thinking that I do I went ahead and made a 5 GB partition on hda7 and installed 10.1 on it. When it asked where to put the bootloader I said hda7, and it asked me where I boot from, and I said hda. When I rebooted, it booted into my "real" Linux install, and I went into the bootloader configuration to add an entry for my new installation. Rebooting again allowed me to select the entry for my new installation, and there I switched to root, installed the kernel-tmb-2.6.7-2 and uninstalled the existing kernel.

Then I rebooted again into my new installation, but when I did a uname it said my kernel was still 2.6.8.1-10mdk. I thought this was curious, so I rebooted yet again and this time let is go into my main installation. I ran the boatloader configuration thingy and saw that the new partition's image was still set to /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-10mdk. I tried setting it to the "tmb" version, saving and rebooting into the new installation, but that gave me a kernel panic.

So...If I'm trying to do a livecd for 10.1, do I really have to replace the kernel with the "tmb" version at all?

Also, when I have a second Linux installation with the bootloader installed on the root of that installation, what should the image actually point to in my "master" bootloader in my main installation?

Thanks,

Sam

There is an updated howto for Mandrake 10.1 here:

http://home.tiscali.nl/berenstraat/howto_en.htm

* You need mdk 10.1 *official*

* yes, you need a tmb kernel, otherwise your livecd won't boot

* you need a special version of the mklivecd scripts, not the one that comes with the distro

* follow the howto step by step - if you leave out one step, it won't work.

A howto about manually adding a second linux installation to Lilo should be here on this board, in the FAQ section.

If you have special questions when building the livecd/with the scripts, please join the livecd-users list. A link and info about the mklivecd project:

http://livecd.berlios.de

Good luck!

--chris