Update kernel after install?

rockybalboa

When I loaded up MDK 10.0 (before I wiped it out) someone told me to install a different kernel. Upon doing so I was amazed at how much better the whole thing ran.

Should I do the same since I installed MDK 10.1 Official?

The install runs but I'm not real impressed. I'm currently running 2.6.8.1-12.

Is there somewhere that keeps stats and comments on each kernel? I googled it and didn't find much.

Also, when I installed my nVidia Geforce3 Ti250 in 10.0 it was a nightmare. Can I expect more of the same when I install my card properly this time? I'm currently running a generic driver but it's not real good looking.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dan

The current kernel for 10.2 beta is 2.6.10 but unless you have a specific issue that only a kernel upgrade can fix, i doubt you would notice any improvement in performance by upgrading.

You can find a change log for the basic kernel (before mdk have played with it ) on http://kernel.org

You don't say what problems you had with your nvidia card, but you can find plenty of tips for installing the drivers here on this board.

When I loaded up MDK 10.0 (before I wiped it out) someone told me to install a different kernel.  Upon doing so I was amazed at how much better the whole thing ran.

So you saw a peformance boost when you upgraded the 10.0 kernel? I am running 10.0. Now you have me wondering if I should consider a kernel update.

Sorry it's taken so long, new job, lots of hours.

The only probs I had before with my Nv video card was getting the right drivers installed. At that time there were two sets of instructions floating around that were somewhat different, I had the wrong ones.

And "surprise surprise" I got turned on to this group when looking for the answer, and since then this is my primary source for answers and learning.Yack, Yack,, Yack

The kernel stuff I did was very early in my ongoing newbie phase. Meaning I did nothing regarding keeping notes and didn't have a very consistent setup for comparison. My guess is that my experience doesn't support upgrading. As I remember it was a big learning (ego) thing for me to compile my own kernel. Good experience, kind of like driving, fun when you're young, but later you only do when you need to.

So I'll take my undocumented and inconclusive evidence and go install the new KDE. (The sh*t some of us will do in the name of entertainment)

Thanks for the responses,

Dan

I posted here a topic smb-timed out... that was when im using the default kernel of mndk 10.1.. kernel -2.6.8.1-12, I have tried googling and found only the same problem of mine, so in my last post, I said that I will change my kernel to something higher , so I installed 2.6.8.1-24, but that does not cure the problem, I still cant transfer a 500 Mb of file to a windows pc thru LinNeighborhood... now, just this morning, I tried kernel-2.4.28-0.rc1.5mdkcustom... and I been able to transfer 600 Mb of mndk-iso to a windows PC, by doing that, it solved my smb-timed out problem.... so its not that necessary to upgrade, unless if, it really involves with great security issue....................