OSS Video

ljones

Hi,

Up until very recently I've been using realencoder ("helixencoder") to record (sometimes) video into realfiles so as to keep the files small (and most people can read realvideos, either on linux,mac or windows). Just recently though and in an effort to try to get better quality at a similar filesize I've moved onto using mpeg4 and using mencoder to encode video. But I'm finding that even with mpeg4 at its worst quality the filesizes are still noticably larger than realvideo files. Right now I'm doing something like this;

(this is an extract from a script I wrote);

<----

mencoder -tv input=1:driver=v4l:width=768:height=576 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=$quality:vhq:vqmax=31:keyint=300 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=$aquality -vf scale=$size -sws 1 -o $name1 tv://

---->

My question is this though -- is there any direct equivilent to realmedia that is cross platform and that can output *small* files like realencoder (helixencoder) does? To date, I've only come across mpeg4 for video, I've not found any direct replacement for realmedia. (Maybe there isn't any?!).

ljones

Edited by ljones