I want to install mandrake 10 on a 9.0 server

emilioestevezz

Hi, i have a server at work, that has Mandrake 9.0 on it, and i would like to install 10.0 on it, the thing is that i´ve got lots of users data on that hard disk. Is there a way to install 10.0 over the old 9.0 without loosing data at /home??? or i MUST clear all hd data first?

I know that when you begin the instalation process you can set to leave the partition right as it is, but is this secure?? and does it really install the new 10.0 or it only upgrades the packages ???

Thanks.

Emilio.-

I have never personally known this method to fail (but you should always backup externally)

Bung in the CD, select new install, choose custom partitioning, format everything except your /home partition. This will install the new 10.0 and save everything on /home

Having said that, as your running a server you might want to think about the upgrade option instead, this could save you having to re-configure apache, Bind, Samba, Mysql, php etc etc. :juggle: