Kicker doesn't work for users [partly solved]

dave843

Hi,

I'm new to linux, but I've used Solaris (and other unix systems) for several years. I recently tried installing Mandrake 10.1 on an old pc I have that's not doing anything else. It seemed pretty straightforward, download the cds, and follow the instructions. Everything went pretty well until I logged into KDE.

When I logged into KDE as a normal user, Kicker didn't work at all. I would get a couple of icons on the desktop (home, trash, ...), but no "start" button. I could right-click, and do a couple of things, but not having Kicker makes things a pain.

I discovered that if I logged into KDE as root, I got Kicker, but I did not get the icons on the desktop, and right-clicking on the desktop didn't do anything.

This problem only exists in KDE. If I log into icewm (sp?), everything works fine.

Next, I figured I would make sure I'm running the latest versions of everything. So, I went into the Mandrake Control Center, and did the software update thing. I updated all packages, but that didn't help.

I tried removing the ~/.kde/share/kickerrc file, but that didn't help either.

I tried running "kdeinit kicker" and that didn't work, it said it couldn't communicate with kicker, it must have crashed.

At this point I was wondering how the heck it worked for root, but not for a normal user. I tried to compare root's kickerrc file to the user one, but there is no .kde directory in /root. So, "find / -name kickerrc" gave me /usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface/kickerrc. And that one is different than the user one. So, I copied that one over top of the user one, and voila, it works!!

What is up with that? It also looks like it's only me, I can't find anything like this in search or google.

Edited by dave843

Here is what happens when I try to start kicker (with the default kickerrc file in place):

bash-2.05b$ kdeinit kicker

kdeinit: Shutting down running client.

---------------------------------

It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure

that it is not already running, remove /home/someuser/.DCOPserver_somemachine__0

and start dcopserver again.

---------------------------------

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used

KDE Daemon (kded) already running.

kbuildsycoca running...

Reusing existing ksycoca

bash-2.05b$ ERROR: Communication problem with kicker, it probably crashed.

One more thing...

When I was installing Mandrake, it wouldn't complete the tests for my video card (S3 Virge VGA). Every time I told it to test the settings, it would go to a solid blue screen, with an X as a mouse pointer. It wouldn't go anywhere else. I had to alt+ctrl+backspace out of it. I set it to not start X on boot. I logged in (text mode), ran XFdrake, and it tested and ran fine...