Installing XMMS (Audio Player) [solved]

superplay

Hi Folks

Please excuse me if this is a simple and dumb query, I have only just started out with Linux.

I have noticed that the XMMS audio player is very popular and I would like to give it a go.

Which download do I need for Mandrake 10.1? I am unsure what to download

http://www.xmms.org/download.php

Can you gude me, Ta

SuperPlay

I would advise you to stick with only RPM installs and not go to individual web sites. At least when you are starting out the RPM route is the easiest.

Now, on my machiine I would to go the "start" menu and then go to System--->Configuration--->Configure your computer, supply the root password, and then once you are in the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) click on software management and install.

You can tell it to search for XMMS and when it finds the package tell it to install

If you don't want to fool with the CDs you can use the Easy-URPMI feature - there should be a link to that at the very top of this screen. RPM is a great way to get packages because they are pre-configured for Mandrake and you don't need to wonder if they will work or not.

Phil