Links in /dev disappear in 10.1

javaguy

Forgive me if this is spamming a question, but it was kind of a minor point that got lost in another thread, and it's still unresolved so I thought it merits its own thread.

I installed Mandrake 10.1, and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it, but one problem I still have is with my /dev/scd0 file. This didn't exist but is expected by some of my applications. Switching user to root and creating a link by that name that points to /dev/hdd does the trick. So far, so good.

But when I reboot the machine, it vanishes! So I have to recreate the link every time I reboot the machine.

Does anybody know the story on that?

• 2 weeks later...

That's udev managing /dev dynamically. You should be able to reconfigure applications not to look for /dev/scd0 - unless you really have a SCSI CD drive, which is rare, there's no reason it should exist in any case. In the past (on 2.4 kernels), IDE CD/DVD writers needed to pretend to be SCSI drives in order for burning to work, which is why you previously had a /dev/scd0 device and why (presumably) your apps have set themselves up to look for it, but modern apps under a 2.6 kernel should be happy pointing at /dev/hd(whatever) or /dev/cdrom . Check for configuration applications inside the app, or a .applicationname folder in your home directory with a config file inside. If all else fails and you really need a /dev/scd0, you'll have to create a custom rule for udev to create it when it is run; the udev documentation should help you with this.