KDE Forgetting file associations

Guest JediToren

Guest JediToren

Mandrake 10.0 Official

KDE 3.2 (up to date via Mandrake Update)

KDE is regularly forgetting some custom file associations I set. I'm not sure where the defaults that it is is going back to are located, but every few days I have to fix them again. This is annoying.

I've searched high and low for a solution to this and found two. One was to disable restore session in the KControl session manager. I did that, and the problem didn't go away.

The other solution was to go to $HOME/.kde/share/applink-mdk/.hidden and disable write access to the .desktop file of the app you want, and to do this by changing ownership to root. I tried this and it screwed up my menu forcing me to run update-menu to restore it, plus only one of the apps I was looking for was there (BinkPlayer.desktop).

Also, often when I go through and change menu settings I click "Apply" and the progress window will popup and instead of jumping to 100% it will advace all the way up to 100% % at a time. Once it gets to 100% it will start again, but slower this time. It keeps on doing this over and over again, getting slower each time until I hit cancel. The next time I try to update settings kcontrol just freezes.

Follow - Up:

Found solution. Do not know why or how it works but it does.

Set file associations as you want them and at the CLI run:

kbuildsyscoca - noincremental

Don't ask, I don't know. It has been working for me for a while now.

By the way, if anyone knows what this command does - do tell. :D

Cheers,

Guest micro420

For me, if I LOG OUT, then it forgets the settings. So what I do is either leave my computer on so it won't forget file association settings, or, jus type 'poweroff' rather than log out. I find that logging out does some funky saving and not saving things.

For me, if I LOG OUT, then it forgets the settings. So what I do is either leave my computer on so it won't forget file association settings, or, jus type 'poweroff' rather than log out.  I find that logging out does some funky saving and not saving things.

While it is true that leaving the machine on is a work-around to the problem. My goal was to eliminate the problem.(even if I don't know exactly how I did it!). :D