XP won't load with dual os [solved]

Guest DoorGunner

Guest DoorGunner

Hi.....

I have installed Mandrake 10.1Linux on my computer....It works good hence my post here.....

However, I cannot use the dual boot option to get into my XP (the problem) I get an "autochk missing" indication from XP and it stops loading

I used partitionmagic 8 to partition the hard drive....it did this successfully and XP was working even after a reboot check. I then installed Mandrake on the computer into the newly partitioned drive. The DVD version automatically repartition the new partition for some reason.

Lilo and Grub both seem to work....XP starts in its typical way untill the autochk message appeared..XP tried to skip it but failed..........What do i need to do to correct this??

:help:

Edited by DoorGunner

Guest DoorGunner

Thanks lakota for the info.....

I have several questions.....do i need a specific fdisc for mandrake?....will it erase what i have already done?

As you can probably tell i am really out of my element here......and could use some step by step instructions.....I cant even seem to get download programs to work for me....I am really ready to pound my head on the wall.....:wall:

Is your XP install using FAT32 or NTFS as your file system? If it is NTFS, this may be the problem. Linux doesn't quite understand NTFS correctly.

XP also has a bad habit of putting files at the end of the drive. When you partitioned your drive it would of had to move them. I suspect something got corrupted.

If you have a XP disk you will need to perform a repair on the installation. After you have done that you will need to load up the Mandrake disk and perform a repair on that installation too. This is because the XP repair will wipe out the lilo entries.

My solution is to use two hard disks. I have one for XP and one for Mandrake. Data I need to share between the two is on a FAT32 partition.

Hope this helps.

Guest DoorGunner

I tried the recovery boot disc method......lost every thing....LOL :lol2: .....Oh Welll

I did get Mandrake installed ....

I Loaded XP back up....then i incerted the Mandrake DVD.....I partitioned the harddrive using the custom feature (out of 200Gb i used 40 for Mandrake) i set up the majority of it for ext3 and about 6 Gb? for Linux swap file......

I just followed everyother prompt and it loaded flawlessly......

The moral of the story is to Trust the Boot and dont mess with other partitioning programs.....it only makes matters worse....

Thanks to everyone who helped......

:thanks:

Guest theolendras

Well I got through the same problem last week. The problem was that I've made my a dynamic disk. Apparently the boot information is stored differently on a dynamic disk from a basic one. So when the Mandrake setup installed LILO it rendered my Windows XP unbootable.