Slow startup of KDE, apps [MDK 10.1]

Guest Arjuna

Guest Arjuna

My system is Compaq Presario 900, AMD Athlon XP 1500 with 256MB. When I installed MDK it was quite OK to use, but by time the system has got really slow.

Starting up KDE takes now 90 sec, OpenOffice 82 sec and also other apps take time to start up. Most annoying is starting file manager, konqueror takes 15 seconds to get up and running. Also bootup process is sluggish. This is very annoying, as this computer cannot be suspended as ATI Radeon IGP320M (U1) 4336 with Xorg ATI Radeon (fglrx) driver does not support it yet. Any ideas how to get things faster?

I do not have much clues how to tune up the system and have not tried anything this far. The system is urpmi'ed to the latest. I would be very grateful for any tune-up tips.

Edited by Arjuna

• 1 month later...

i'm having the same sort of trouble...

i have an amd 3000+ processor and 512Mb ram and for example, openoffice sometimes takes several minutes to start up. other applications are really slow to start up the first time i run them (faster afterwards) but if i don't use them for a while, they take ages to start up again.

the weird thing is once i have started up an application, it runs fine :s

all my urpmis are up to date (as far as i know) and my graphics and sound card drivers are up to date

i should say though that actual KDE starts up quite fast :)

Edited by gluttony

I had the same problem, but it somehow misteriously solved itself after I did the last KDE updates (3.2.3).

It's been about 6 days without a restart now and all is swift and programs are starting normally. Hope it stays so (fingers crossed).

p.s. Anyone knows when KDE 3.4 comes out?

Edited by solarian

One possibility that I have been alerted to is that it may be your hostname that's causing the problem.

I certainly noticed previously that when I'm off the net, it takes *a*g*e*s* for simple things like a terminal to open (>1 minute).

The solution which was suggested to me was to add the host names to your /etc/hosts file - you'll need to do this as root.

My understanding of why this works (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is some kind of operation going on when launching a program, which requires resolution of your local host name to an IP address. Of course, it's always 127.0.0.1, your local machine, but if you're not on the net, then the DNS query for that name has to time out, which can be a long time. And even if you are, you still have to contact the DNS server and do all that stuff.

I believe that the name is first checked against /etc/hosts, and if it is there it completely bypasses the network and therefore the timeout or overhead for doing this.

By default, it looks like this:

127.0.0.1  localhost

Here's mine - I have two additional entries because both my actual ISP (NTL) and dynamic DNS (homelinux.org) allow me to set up a separate host name:

127.0.0.1  localhost
127.0.0.1  notmyrealhostname.ntlworld.com
127.0.0.1  notmyrealhostname.homelinux.org

All of these resolve immediately to the local IP address, 127.0.0.1. I haven't noticed a great speedup when connected, but on the other hand, I haven't had any ot those huge, 2 minute app launch delays that I was seeing before either.

You try this fix, or if you can confirm or deny my speculation as to why it works, please post a quick reply to let us know.

Edited by sellis

One possibility that I have been alerted to is that it may be your hostname that's causing the problem.

I certainly noticed previously that when I'm off the net, it takes *a*g*e*s* for simple things like a terminal to open (>1 minute).

The solution which was suggested to me was to add the host names to your /etc/hosts file - you'll need to do this as root.

My understanding of why this works (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is some kind of operation going on when launching a program, which requires resolution of your local host name to an IP address. Of course, it's always 127.0.0.1, your local machine, but if you're not on the net, then the DNS query for that name has to time out, which can be a long time. And even if you are, you still have to contact the DNS server and do all that stuff.

I believe that the name is first checked against /etc/hosts, and if it is there it completely bypasses the network and therefore the timeout or overhead for doing this.

By default, it looks like this:

127.0.0.1  localhost

Here's mine - I have two additional entries because both my actual ISP (NTL) and dynamic DNS (homelinux.org) allow me to set up a separate host name:

127.0.0.1  localhost
127.0.0.1  notmyrealhostname.ntlworld.com
127.0.0.1  notmyrealhostname.homelinux.org

All of these resolve immediately to the local IP address, 127.0.0.1. I haven't noticed a great speedup when connected, but on the other hand, I haven't had any ot those huge, 2 minute app launch delays that I was seeing before either.

You try this fix, or if you can confirm or deny my speculation as to why it works, please post a quick reply to let us know.

Hi,

This is just to confirm that it works wonders.I had faced similar problems and could get my applications running faster by writining one line in /etc/hosts file.

I added this

domainname host name host name

Hi,

This is just to confirm that it works wonders.I had faced similar problems and could get my applications running faster by writining one line in /etc/hosts file.

I added this

domainname  host name host name

could you please be more specific? do you mean you did not include 127.0.0.1 in this line?

Edited by coverup