fdiv_bug : no

hlt_bug : no

f00f_bug : no

coma_bug : no

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 2

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr

bogomips : 5963.77

lspcidrake

intel-agp : Intel Corp.|82865G [springdale-G] Chipset Host Bridge [bRIDGE_HOST]

unknown : Intel Corp.|82865G/PE/P Processor to AGP Controller [bRIDGE_PCI]

usb-uhci : Intel Corp.|USB Controller [sERIAL_USB]

usb-uhci : Intel Corp.|82801EB USB EHCI Controller #2 [sERIAL_USB]

ehci-hcd : Intel Corp.|USB Enhanced Controller [sERIAL_USB]hw_random : Intel Corp.|82820 815e (Camino 2) Chipset PCI [bRIDGE_PCI]

i810-tco : Intel Corp.|82801EB ISA Bridge (LPC) [bRIDGE_ISA]

ata_piix : Intel Corp.|82801EB ICH5 IDE [sTORAGE_IDE]

unknown : Intel Corp.|82801EB SMBus [sERIAL_SMBUS]

snd-intel8x0 : Intel Corp.|82801EB AC'97 Audio [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO]

Card:NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic): NVIDIA Corp.|NV31 GeForce FX 5600XT [DISPLAY_VGA]

sk98lin : 3Com Corp.|3C940 10/100/1000 LAN [NETWORK_ETHERNET]

bttv : Brooktree Corp.|Bt878 [MULTIMEDIA_VIDEO]

bt878 : Brooktree Corp.|Pinnacle PCTV Sat DVB PCI (based on the Bt878 PCI bridge) [MULTIMEDIA_OTHER]

dvb-ttpci : Philips Semiconductors|SAA7146 [MULTIMEDIA_OTHER]

hub : Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdk ehci_hcd|EHCI Host Controller [Hub]

hub : Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdk uhci_hcd|UHCI Host Controller [Hub]

cpuinfo only lists one processor so you must not have an HT cpu. I have a similar setup with the same board but with a P4 3.2GHz HT processor. cpuinfo lists two processors for me. I don't think it will effect your performance much, if at all. I think the smp kernel has support for 1GB of ram or greater which may be why mandrake selected that kernel for you. Without that high memory support in the kernel, only approx 800MB of ram can be used by the system. The standard kernel is kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk which you can try if you want. Open a console and su to root and run:

# urpmi kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk

mandrake should install the kernel along side your other kernel and put an entry in the lilo selection screen to boot with either kernel. You can test it out and see how each kernel performs but I doubt you'll see much difference. If your not having problems, I wouldn't bother.

I'm a little surprised that your cpu is not an HT; I thought all the recent ones were. You might want to check your bios setup before fooling around with different kernels. IIRC you have to enable HT in the bios setup for it to be activated. The bios setup will also tell you whether it's an HT cpu. I'd check that first.

Edit: I just rebooted and checked my bios setup and I was right. On the first screen it lists the cpu and right under it it has "Hyperthreading Technology [Enable]". So you can enable or disable HT. If it's disabled in your setup try enabling it. It should improve your performance if it's available.

Edited by pmpatrick

thanks pmpatrick,

effectively I have not detected any important difference between the SMP and non SMP kernel !

It's a pity that Mandrake doesn't indicate clearly in which cases the SMP kernel is installed first  :angry:  but this board is really of great help  :D

It should only be installed for true multi-processor systems or hyperthreading CPUs. If it's installed in any other case it's a detection bug, please file it in Bugzilla (but make sure your CPU really is non-HT first). For systems with single processors but large amounts of memory there are appropriate kernels: i686-up-4GB and i686-up-64GB. up means 'uniprocessor'. Mind you, a system with more than 4GB of RAM but only one CPU would be a fairly odd beast...wonder why we have that kernel. Ah well.