cdrecord hangs in MDK 10.1 Official

DoomedTX

I have been unable to burn CD's since switching to the kernel that doesn't use SCSI emulation (10.0 CE I think). In K3b, the burn process looks like it is starting normally and in fact makes the drive light briefly come on, but then nothing else happens, including error messages. I have left it running for over a day and in the end had no CD and no error messages.

I decided to take x out of the equation and use cdrecord directly. When I typed cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdd -v <some file>.iso, I got the normal startup messages, the drive light blinked once, and then nothing happened when I let it run over 2 hours. After that I was not able to kill the process, even as root. I wound up rebooting the computer to shut down cdrecord.

My next step was to try xcdroast, not knowing that it was another cdrecord frontend. I ran it as root to configure it, and it hung up during the detection phase. It detected both of my drives in about 20 minutes and has done nothing in the last 18 hours while I left it running. Looking at the processes I see that xcdroast ran "cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus." I'm assuming that it has locked up again as nothing has happened in a long time.

The line for cdrecord looks like this:

root 5143 0.0 0.2 1748 556 ? D Jan02 0:00 cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus

As root, I am now typing "kill 5143" but cdrecord is not stopping.

Does anyone know what I can do to get cdrecord working again? My cdrecord version is Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu).

Thanks

In case you have some wav files (rip an audio cd to get some), you can use cdrdao with the frontend gcdmaster - this is a completely different burning program, geared towards audio cds.

Would it be possible that your hardware has failed?

Also, can you try with the 2.4 kernel? Install it alongside your working kernel, then choose it from the bootmenu.

• 1 month later...
In case you have some wav files (rip an audio cd to get some), you can use cdrdao with the frontend gcdmaster - this is a completely different burning program, geared towards audio cds.

Would it be possible that your hardware has failed?

Also, can you try with the 2.4 kernel? Install it alongside your working kernel, then choose it from the bootmenu.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond...lots going on more important than the computer. The hardware definitely works fine. I tested it on another machine without problems. searching on USENET I found that the current kernel doesn't play well with cdrecord. I switched to cdrdao and can burn CD's without trouble. Since this is apparently a known problem I will continue to use cdrdao until a new kernel or new cdrecord is released.