Hard drive size reported wrong after installing MDK 9.0

Guest wilburpan

Guest wilburpan

Having successfully gotten MDK 9.0 going on my laptop, I decided to install it on m home machine. My hard drive is now reporting the wrong partition size from within Win98. Here's what I did:

1. Installed new 80 GB hard drive.

2. Imaged my old 6GB Win98 drive to new 80GB drive. New drive boots Win98 just fine. I now have a 80GB FAT32 partition with a clone of my old hard drive. Disconnected old 6GB drive.

3. Installed MDK 9.0 from CD's. When I got to the partition set up phase, I deleted the 80GB FAT32 partition, then set up a new 10 GB FAT32 partition. Used autoallocate to set up the rest of the drive for the MDK partitions.

I can now boot into Linux or Win98 without problems. However, when I boot into Win98, the C: drive is still being reported as 80GB. Scandisk gives me an out of memory error. Fdisk reports one big FAT32 partition.

It seems that Win98/DOS are not recognizing the partition changes that the MDK setup made. Any ideas on how to get Win98 to correctly identify it's partition?

i'm not really sure on the best way to go fixing it, but if you still have that image sitting around....

first off, fdisk and scandisk are crappy windows tools. they won't help you much, as any filesystem other than fat or ntfs makes them loopy and unreliable. pick up a copy of partition magic, if you have the extra cash...not sure what other utils similar to PM are out there, tho. it will come in handy later most likely...always has for me.

1) reformat that 10gig windows partition, from within linux.

2) make a linux bootdisk. this step is important! w/o that boot disk you'll have to go back through the install process w/linux.

3) use that image of yours to reinstall Windows on the now newly formatted and only 10 gig partition.

4) after windows is installed and running, use that bootdisk to get back into linux (windows will most likely overwrite the boot sector-although i haven't had much experience with putting images onto dual-boots in this manner) and set LILO or GRUB back up for the dual boot process.

the problem is that windows didn't recognize the resize that linux did. it doesn't like other O/S's screwing with it's setup...those bastards. usually the best course of action is to only allow windows to have as much drive space as you'll want it to be taking up at the end in the very beginning. I.E.: you should have just given it 10 gigs from the get-go, you wouldn't be here if you had :)

but alas, mistakes are made, yet they are fixable :) hope this helps! good luck :)

Get the free Ranish Partition Manager at http://www.ranish.com . It will work as well as PM.

The general rule is use Windows tools on Windows and Linux tools on Linux. Make the "to be" Linux an extended partition you can ignore formatting if you want. That will be done by the Mandrake installer. You can do it as suggested but you are in for a rough ride. The best idea at this stage is to reinstall Linux. Read the Mandrake Installation Docs

( http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fdoc.php3 ) and then go to http://www.tldp.org and read the Large Disk How-To and the Partitioning mini How-To. These docs will help you get off to a better start with your setup.

Counterspy

The best idea at this stage is to reinstall Linux.

it was my understanding that is problem was in windows, not in linux. unless he starts over from scratch, re-installing linux won't solve the windows issue...atleast, not from my experience.

mostly i was suggesting redoing the windows partition, as that's where the only problem is...and i figured if he can image, the stuff i suggested shouldn't be hard.

maybe i was wrong? i dunno...

Guest wilburpan

Thanks for the suggestions. I followed tyme's suggestion, and found a twist.

Reformatting and setting up a new partition with the hard drive installation software, I set up a 10GB FAT32 partition adn left the rest of the drive blank. Then I imaged my old hard drive using Norton Ghost.

Norton Ghost initially wanted to repartition my new hard drive to a full 80GB again. Luckily, I caught this, and there was an option to set the partition to the size I wanted.

Going to go finish reinstalling MDK 9.0 now.

Thanks again.

yeah...any ghosting program will automatically want to make it the size it was before. i didn't know that you had ghosted it at 80gigs (didn't read write or something) and would have mentioned the option to resize-tho i wouldn't have remembered where that option was :) haven't used norton ghost in a long time.