Sorting Fonts, Once & For All

SoulSe

I must be the worst googler in the World, I can't find anything on this for Mandrake, so if there is something, post it and ignore this.

One of my biggest headaches with MDK 9 has been fonts. What I initially thought would sort me out was Samba mounting a windows machine on my network and Grabbing all the fonts off it.

The process worked well enough, but some of the fonts (especially arial) look really crappy now, espcially with Mozilla. It is really bad when web editing, because the fonts look different on my Linux box and the pages need to look good on windoze boxes as well.

So let's sort out the whole font issue on mdk9 right here, right now, once and for all. I will then take the info collected from this thread and write a tutorial which hopefully someone like DOlson will add to their site.

What are your thoughts? What have you done with your fonts? Is it just me having these problems?

Well, my experience is simple. If you turn on antialiasing then use scalable fonts. If you don't turn on antialiasing then use bitmapped fonts. Whatever you chose, do the same thing in both KDE and Gnome so that all your applications look good.

Glitz.

PS. You can tell which are scalable and which are bitmapped by looking at the font in question at 20 or 24 point. The scalable ones are absolutely smooth. The bitmapped ones are a bit blocky.

for kde, go to the fonts section in the control center.  for gnome, edit /etc/profile.d/gtk2.sh so that the last line in the case statement reads:

GDK_USE_XFT="0" to turn it off.  if it equals 1, aa is turned on.