How to set up my network card

Guest neodorian

Guest neodorian

I was doing a wipe of my windows xp system and ran across a mandrake 9.2 cd and figured I would give it a shot in a dual boot system. I have it up and running but am unable to configure the thing to get it on my lan or connect it to the net. I ran the config for the network adapter and told it to use dhcp-client. It found the adapter and claimed it was setting it up. harddrake then asks if i have any other ethernet adapter. I say no and it says that no adapter was found. Do I need another driver for this ethernet adapter even though it identifies it correctly?

Edit: after browsing around I found out that the nforce2 onboard nic isnt supported under mandrake 9.2. I guess I need to upgrade to 10 before ever even using 9.2 ;)

Edited by neodorian

cks for shipping. Seriously, it's like &13.99 or less with shipping, and it comes quick. realy ont worth downloading at those prices.

Plus, since it'w the power-pac the only way you could download it was if you were a club member. Otherwise, the version you downlaod will be stripped of all commercial software, like acrobat reader, RealPlayer and the nvidia drivers. You can downlaod and install those things yourself, but why?

10.0 and 10.1 don't need commercial drivers for the nforce networking; they use the open-source forcedeth drivers. Any version of 10.0 or 10.1, free or commercial, will support the nforce2 onboard networking right out of the box.

You could get it to work under 9.2 using the closed-source driver from www.nvidia.com (download the chipset drivers pack for nforce and ignore the audio driver, you don't need it, just build the nvnet driver). But using 10.0 or 10.1 is better anyway. :)

Guest neodorian

Well, I just went ahead and downloaded 10.1 CE. It only took an hour or so and I had the day off. It worked fine with my nforce board but I ended up with all sorts of other problems. I couldn't get the nvidia driver for my vid card to install. It said my kernel didn't match up with any recognized one and had to be rebuilt but it couldnt find it or something. I'm pretty new to Linux in general so it's a learning process. Still, I got started before the DOS days so I'm no stranger to the command line...just the new commands ;)

Edited by neodorian

It needs to build the module because it doesn't have a pre-built one for Mandrake 10.1 - that's OK. Just make sure you have the kernel-source-2.6 package installed and then re-run the installer, it should then be able to rebuild the module just fine. Make sure you're using the most recent nvidia driver, version 6629 I think - the previous one, 6111, and any earlier than that *won't* work (due to a recent change in the stock kernel).