streaming MP3 server

papaschtroumpf

I want to experiment with using my linux server as a source for streaming MP3s so that I can listen to my ripped CD collection from any computer in the house. Depending on bandwidth requirements I would also consider streaming the audio to my workstation at work.

The obvious next step would be a multimedia PC or "device" that I could plug into my stereo (which is on a different floor than the PC) so availability of clients adn ease of use may also be a factor. Some of the clients will be windows based boxes.

I could simply share the MP3 collection as a samba share, but I was wondering if there are better solutions. Also I can't connect to a samba share from my work computer ( or not willing to anyway). If anyone has insight on why a specific solution is better than a samba share, I'd also love to hear the reasonning.

so far all I have come up with is IceCast (www.icecast.org)

well, for other comps you could use FTP mebbe...

if you had a Phd in computer science, i'd be recommending the Plan 9 operating system - want to play an mp3 on your laptop with the audio coming out of the speakers of your desktop in another room? import the desktop /dev/audio and pipe the mp3 to it.

NOTE - this is NOT the same as going down to the desktop and playing via Samba an mp3 on your laptop. In the Plan 9 case you are sitting at your laptop and literally pushing the audio across the wire to the sound card on the desktop - different thing altogether. (and it works across the internet too - Plan 9 boxes can import a TV card iin Japan say, and watch the TV card output of a Plan 9 box in Tokyo. You can also push your mp3 out a soundcard in America say, while video-conferencing with someone - maybe showing off your latest music collection to that person)

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/

admittedly it's real rocket-science experimental stuff, but undoubtedly we'll see more of this stuff making its way over to Linux proper in the years to come. (some of the chief architects of Plan 9 now work for Google)

But back to Linux - if you want an easy streaming solution ,you might want to check out Dyne-Bolic, which is a bootable CD multimedia distro , specifically aimed at audio and video apps. Worth checking out.

http://www.dynebolic.org/

Edited by kde-head

This is not what I have in mind. I don't want to run a "radio station" style broadcast, I want each client to be able to select which album/tracks/etc... it wants to listen to from each client computer.

My current basic setup is: the music directory is shared as a Smaba share, and any PC in the house can open that share and browse it with its own media player (for example windows media player, or winamp) and select the file/albums it wants to play.

Maybe this is the best way to go about it, but it requires each client to maintain its own music database relating files to albums/artists, etc...

I was told that ther are programs out there that can server the already organized content, for example over a web page, and allow a user to browse by artist/album/genre/whatever and select what they want to play.

Also I don't want to run Samba between my home machine and my work machine, I'd rather have something that is a little less of a security risk.