Mandrake10 Installing with hdd [SOLVED]

wramas

Hi, I want to install mandrake using the harddrive. I follow the Installation process posted at FAQ and doesn't seems to work. I follow each steps.

Here are the basic 7 steps to freedom from burning CDs to install ML:

I. Create a partition that is ~3GB in size and format it as FAT32.

II. If you do not have these programs, you will need them. Get some ISO image manipulation software, John Newbigin's "rawwritewin" program from his site and software to check the ISO's MD5 sums.

III. Get the MDK ISO images. Place the cd1...ISO into the partition(step I.); the other two(cd2...ISO and cd3...ISO) can go wherever. (Don't forget to verify the MD5sums.)

IV. Using the ISO image manipulation software, copy the hd.img file from the "images" directory to a location where you can access it with the rawwritewin program.

V. Get a good 1.44MB floppy and use the rawwritewin program to create a boot/install disk with it by utilizing the hd.img file.

VI. Using the ISO image manipulation software,copy the "Mandrake" directory from the cd1...ISO into your new partition and then cut&paste the "rpms2" directory from the cd2...ISO and the "rpms3" directory from the cd3...ISO into the "Mandrake" directory.

VII. Lucky number seven, :), reboot with the floppy in the floppy drive and just do what is asked by the installer.

In the /images folder in disc 1 their is a hd_grub.img instead of the hd.img which the faq is trying to suggest (line number IV). Is this the same?

After writing the image hd_grub.img to a floopy using rawritten and follow the succeding steps. I reboot the system. Here's what happen.

It ask for the

root (hd0.0) ----> I write root (hda7) cause I have 5 partition(one primary, 4 logical) and I put the mandrake files at the 4th partition (second to the last).

kernel /cooker/isolinux/alt0/vmlinuz ramdisk=128000 root=/dev/ram3 acpi=ht vga=788 automatic=method:disk

I write--->

kernel /isolinux/alt0/vmlinuz ramdisk=128000 root=/dev/ram3 acpi=ht vga=788 automatic=method:disk

erase cooker folder cause i put it directly into the partitioned drive itself.

In the root area, shall i changed it to root=/dev/hda7 or just leave it /dev/ram3?

inittrd /cooker/isolinux/alt0/all.rdz

I write---->

inittrd /isolinux/alt0/all.rdz

erase cooker folder cause i put it directly into the partitioned drive itself.

pls help.... pls... help...

nevermind, i had figure it out.

The right config was

root (hd0,6)

kernel /isolinux/alt0/vmlinuz ramdisk=128000 root=/dev/hda7 acpi=ht vga=788 automatic=method:disk

inittrd /isolinux/alt0/all.rdz

Just trial and error method.

Edited by wramas