what's wrong with kdm?

Guest bulia

On mdk8.2, I had the following at the end of my inittab:

# Run xdm in runlevel 5

# xdm is now a separate service

##x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

x:5:respawn:/opt/kde3/bin/kdm -nodaemon

After I installed 9.0, the last line became commented out. As a result, I now end up in text console after boot. I can run startx and I get my KDE, but I want it to load automatically. Enabling auto login in KDE control center did not help. So, after figuring out that KDE3 is now in usr/bin, I uncommented that last line in inittab again and replaced the path so:

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon

Now X starts during boot, but there's no KDE! There's an empty X screen and a black-on-white terminal window (without decorations) in top left corner. In that window, I can type "startkde" and then KDE loads as usual.

So, what on earth makes kdm behave like that? Where to look for ways to fix this?

bulia,

As root, open the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop and add this line:

DESKTOP=KDE

Save the file and quit. Restart X server and login. Now KDE should start automatically at login.

thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately none of these worked...

1. I checked and dm was on for runlevel 5 already. I switched it on, and the only change was that it now appears to be also on for runlevels 3 and 4. The above described problem persisted. Maybe I need to also change something in inittab?

However when I say "service -s" it says, among others:

dm dead but subsys locked

why might this be?

2. My /etc/sysconfig/desktop contained just "KDE". I changed that to "DESKTOP=KDE" but this did not change anything.

So, I still get an empty terminal and no window manager when kdm is run from inittab. The funny thing is, if I remove kdm from the inittab, load into the console and say "startx", X starts with KDE! So I have an idea - can I put just "startx" into the inittab, instead of kdm? will that work?

One more thing: I tried to use xdm instead of kdm and wrote in the inittab thus:

x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon

That's a little better - there is no autologin, X starts and asks me for username & password, and when I provide them it launches KDE. If only I could make it autologin, I would be perfectly happy with xdm...