Removing EHCI-HCD module

Guest Z2.

Pretty new to Mandrake, but used RH9, and am used to the nice Kernel GUI that they supplied (there isn't such a tool for Mandrake is there?)

I need to remove the EHCI-HCD from startup, but can't for the life of me get it right. I have tried some dirty tricks like renaming the module, and editing the modeprobe.conf file to exclude it, which works well, but then OHCI doesn't work = no USB :angry:

I have fiddled with the modeprobe commands, but it is all Greek to me. Can anyone point me in the direction of either an idiot proof tool to reconfig the kernel, or an idiots guide to getting rid of EHCI-HCD?

modprobe -r ehci-hcd

or is it '-e'?

you can recompile the kernel w/o EHCI, which would be much easier than tinkering with those modprobe.conf files. Just 1) install the kernel source, copy over your existing kernel config file, then 2)go to qconfig and uncheck 'EHCI' and 3) type 'make && make modules_install && make install'

ensure that LILO sees the new kernel, then reboot and try out your new kernel :)

and welcome to the board! :)

Edited by arthur

Thanks Arthur - both for the advice (I have saved and will play now), and for your welcome

I'll take that the problem is solved and mark the thread solved - Artificial Intelligence

Edited by Artificial Intelligence