Boot from USB hd with Mandrake 9.2

Guest Billy

Hi to all,

First, I apologize for my bad english, but I hope you understand :mr-green:

I try to install on my laptop dell d600 linux, but i can't touch internal hd, because is for work, then I buy an external USB hd.

During installation no problem, I see hd , and I can made a partition on external hd, I installed lilo on USB hd and lilo start on the boot (Laptop support boot form USB ) .

But during start up the system crash !!!!

Why??

I tried to install with expert option, the system ask me if I would install third part hardware, but I don't know .......

During installation is all ok.....

MANY

:thanks:

Bye

Billy

Could you give more information about the "system crash", any message showing up on your screen ?

Which version of Mandrake have you installed ?

After the LILO menu, does it show a progress bar ?

Have you tried to hit ESC to get full boot messages instead ? Write down any message you can get. It will help to find why you have this problem.

Thanks Pierre for your support,

The version of Linux is Mandrake 9.2 ( see subject of this post!! ;-) ).

now I'm at work , this evening I take a picture of the screen for many information...

After the LILO menu I see progress bar for 2-3 second..... The system can't see the external hd and can't mount sda partition...many details tomorrow ok??

Have you tried to hit ESC to get full boot messages instead ?

Yes but don't work!!

I searched on internet and I found this:

"This almost works, except for two problems:

Because of the fact that SBP support uses SCSI emulation, the emulated SCSI bus need to be "rescanned" in order to detect the disk and allow /dev/sda1 to be mounted. This scanning is performed with a couple of simple commands. Unfortunately, however, using a one-phase boot, we cannot run any commands until the kernel has finished booting, and the kernel cannot finish booting until the root file system is mounted -- a classic Catch-22 situation. Thankfully, there is a patch available for 2.4 kernels that causes the SCSI bus to be scanned on startup (see Resources for more details). By applying this patch, I was able to have the external drive automatically detected by the kernel during bootup with no rescanning commands required. This leads us to the next problem.

There is a timing window within the kernel, which means that often, the kernel will proceed to try to mount the root device before it has had a chance to be properly detected or initialized. Again, there is a patch available for this (please see Resources for a link) that simply makes the kernel wait for a short period of time on startup, and retry if it fails to mount the root filesystem (to give the external drive time to be recognized). "

At the page

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linu...-lnxw09FireBoot

What you think about this???

Thanks and please :help: me!!!!!!

Bye

Billy

Hi to all,

Please :help: me!!!

The message is :

All ok ..... up to

Mounting /proc filesystem

creating root device