Mandrake PPC 9.1 Refuses to Work

Guest hexstar

Guest hexstar

Hi, I'm trying to install Mandrake PPC 9.1 on my iBook G3 800MHz which has a ATI Rage M7 card according to the MacOS X system profiler, however when I run the gui setup it looks garbled, I've tried running the text mode installer but then KDE wouldn't work because it said the display wasn't configured even though I configured it in the text mode install, I've tried putting in video=atyfb:vmode:16,cmode:32 (correct for my video card) both in the boot text field when booting off the cd and via install-gui and install-gui gui-old however the gui still looks garbled...I read somewhere that I have to pass that to the kernel for it to work...how would I do that as the install's on a CD-R cd that can't be written to again and was made from a iso? If you could tell me how to solve that I'd greatly appreciate it (it looks all staticy, the text is garbled as well)...however I decided to try running the gui out of desperation so all goes well except for when I have to select the video card, there is no option for a ATI Rage M7 card but I heard that it's the same thing as the Mobile card so I select the ATI Rage Mobile for the card driver and finish the install, however when I restart my mac and it tries to load KDE nothing appears, the screen just flashes a couple times and then stops and remains a black screen :(. What do I need to do to get this to work? Any help is really greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...