multiple questions

kungfooya

I have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me out with.

I am still learning about linux, but need help from time to time.

1. I installed the gimp print rpm but I don't see a print option in the gimp.

Is this correct? Should there be a print option in gimp?

2. URPMI. when I use urpmi to update a program, it will sometimes try

to install an older version of the program I am updating. I used the

easy urpmi website to set it up. Is there a list of servers that contain

the most up-to-date software somewhere?

3. I recently upgraded my ram from 512 to 1024. Now I am having 2 issues

with this. Gkrellm only shows 884mb of total ram, not 1024. Is there a

place I can check out how much ram is being recognized?

4. KDE 3.2 is crashing frequently for who knows what reason since I up'ed

my RAM. It will go down, and my Xserver will restart as well. Is there

a log file or someplace I can look to tell me why its crashing or what is

causing it to crash?

5. Amarok. When I try to configure the visualisations, it will crash every time.

I guess its no big deal, just curious why it might be doing this.

Thansk for any replies!

Jason

how much ram does your BIOS think you have? (usually displayed in the boot screen). You mught want to enbale memory test on boot and remove and re-insert the memory module.

run memtest86 (use google, burn the CD, boot form it) for a few cycles to make sure the issue is not with your memory (it could expalin the KDE crashes).

When I boot up, the full 1024 is recognized. I was having problems in windows

2000 for awhile as well, so i installed the new 512 in the 1st slot, the old 512 in

the 2nd slot. I then ran a free memory tester(can't remember the name) and

everything came up ok. Everything is running normal in win2000, and mandrake

10 as well, except for these minor issues. I'll try out your advice and see what happens. Thanks.

Jason

1 - the print option is under the file menu *for the image you have open*. Right click the image, look under file, you should see print.

2 - check you used the right version when defining your sources (if you have 10CE make sure you picked a 10CE source, not 10OE, etc). Finding the most up-to-date medium is an inexact science...anorien.csc.warwick.edu used to be great but is now dead. I find proxad.net is a little slow to download from but usually very up to date.

3 - you need to use a kernel which can cope with larger amounts of memory if you want all your memory to be recognised. The "standard" kernel can only address the amount of memory you're seeing as available. So-called "highmem" kernels can address up to 4GB (and more, in certain systems), but take a small performance penalty for doing so. (This is why highmem isn't just compiled into every kernel ever). Depending on your version of MDK, either use the 'enterprise' kernel or the '-i686-4GB-up' kernel. 'enterprise' combines highmem and SMP (multiple processors, or Hyperthreading processors); previously it was the only kernel you could use to get highmem support. Since 10.0 there's also been the -i686-4GB-up processor, which is uniprocessor (that's what the up means) but supports up to 4GB of RAM. However, unless you're really going to *use* all that 1GB of RAM (and that's pretty hard to do), using the normal kernel may actually be a little faster. Either way, it's probably not a difference you'll notice outside of benchmarks.

4 - follow the above suggestions for testing your memory.

5 - no idea.

hope that helped!