6 cds into 1 dvd

LDC

Hi all! I have Mandrake Powerpack with the 6 cds. When you install packages is not very useful to change every time the cd. Is possible to copy the 6 cds into 1 dvd and then add it to Urpmi or to the support managent in the MCC? And the most important is it goin to work well later? Thanx!

Hi LDC!

If you just want to get rid of the cds and have a unique DVD with all the packages, yes, thats possible and quite simple.

You can copy all the packages from the different RPMS folders on the different CDs (RPMS for CD1, RPMS2 for CD2 ... and so on) to a single folder in your hard disk, then use the command genhdlist to generate the hdlist.cz file and burn that folder to a DVD. All you have to do after is remore all the CD repositories and add the DVD one, so next time you need to install any of the packages from any of the -old- disks, itll only ask you for the dvd. If you like this method I can give you more detailed instructions, just let me know.

But to make a bootable DVD so to be capable of installing mandrake from it, its a different story. Its been asked before in this forums and I have never been able to get it to work... Although i think somebody clever than me -which is not difficult to be :P - has, if you wanna try it just do a search on the forums for it.

Thanx! i dont want to make a booable cd, just one dvd to install the packages. Then i have to copy all folders of the cds into one in the pc and then from the consolo go to that directory and make genhdlist and then burn it? Thanx!!

Thanx! i dont want to make a booable cd, just one dvd to install the packages. Then i have to copy all folders of the cds into one in the pc and then from the consolo go to that directory and make genhdlist and then burn it? Thanx!!

Well yeah in theory that should work but i havent try it and i encourage you to use DVDRW media :D if your microwave stop working after trying this, dont blame me :P

1.- Copy all files found in the different RPMS folders of the different CDs (as i told you RMPS for CD1, RPMS2 for CD2 and so on) to a +single+ folder on your hard drive -keep in mind you are gonna need about 4 Gb empty space on the partition where you copy all the packages, so make sure you have room-:

[~] md dvd_packages

[~] cd dvd_packages

[~/dvd_packages] cp /mnt/cdrom/RPMS/* .

Once all files have been copied from CD1, introduce CD2 in the drive and carry on:

[~/dvd_packages] cp /mnt/cdrom/RPMS2/* .

And so on untill you have all the 6 CDs RPMS packages into the hardrive directory "dvd_packages".(Dont forget the dot "." at the end of every one of the cp commands)

Then create the hdlist file:

[~/dvd_packages] genhdlist .

Once it finishes, you are ready to burn all the files in the dvd_packages directory into a DVD (RW!! :-P ), you can put all the packages on the root directory of the dvd or just burn the folder containing all packages to the dvd, it should work either way.

All you need to do afterwards is go to the MCC, Software admin --> Repositories admin, and from there select the CDs repositories and remove them one by one, when you are done add the dvd repository by selecting ADD and then ticking on 'removable media':

- Name: Anything you like, for example PowerPack_DVD

- Route or mount point: Thats your DVD drive mount point + the folder containing the packages (if any) Example:

a/ if you burned the packages to the dvd root directory:

/mnt/dvdrom

b/ if you burned the packages into a folder on the DVD (i.e. dvd_packages):

/mnt/dvdrom/dvd_packages

- Route to synthesis/hdlist: You can leave this unticked since the file is in the same directory of the packages.

Hope it helps, and let me know how it goes !!

Edited by feralertx