using usb Zip drive

Latem

Hi, I have an Iomega Zip 100 USB Zip Drive, and I dont know if I am using it right.

This is how it was always from the beginning. I had a Zip Device on my desktop, (unmounted icon), and a mounted icon "Zip Disk". The only options for this item are "Open" and "Properties".

Clicking on "Properties" the general tab, gives the name "devscsihost1bus0target0lun0part4mntzip", and Location: /(devices).

Everything worked fine most of the time.

This is how I used it. I insert a zip disk into the drive, and then dbl click on the zip disk icon, and be able to use it fine. when I was finished I just ejected the zip disk. This was always odd to me bacuase I thought that I should have just the Zip Device icon, and then when I insert the zip disk I would do "mount", or it would automatically mount, and a new Zip Disk icon will appear. When I am finished I would right click on Zip Device and Unmount, and then eject. But whatever I accepted it how it worked. But sometimes it would screw up, and I would dbl click on zip disk, but nothing would be showing up, just an empty folder (the zip disk wasnt empty). I think trying mount in this case gave some error, and I had to create a new device (Zip) on my desktop, and then delete one of the 2 icons when I was finished.

Today something different happened. I inseted the disk, and it auto mounted and changed the existing Zip Disk icon's text to "Zip Disk (part4) [mnt/zip]", and also added a new icon (mounted zip disk) with text "Zip Disk (part4) [mnt/zip2]". Only the zip2 would work, and clicking on zip1 would just give me an empty folder. Also now there are two zip folders in /mnt zip and zip2.

So my question is if I am using zip correctly, and if not how do you use Zip Drives? I am using KDE 3.2 and Mandrake 10.

Should I just delete this new zip2 folder in /mnt. It's chmod @ 777 just like zip, and floppy. But I am the owner of zip2, instead of root.

Wird thing is my brother has never had any problems using the zip disk, and I think he has been using it the same way as me.

here's my Zip Device desktop config file:

[Desktop Action Eject]
Exec=kdeeject %v
Name=Eject

[Desktop Entry]
Actions=Eject
Dev=/dev/sda4
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=zip_unmount
MountPoint=
Name=ZIP Device
Name[en_US]=ZIP Device
ReadOnly=false
Type=FSDevice
UnmountIcon=zip_unmount
X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel

and my brother's:

[Desktop Action Eject]
Exec=kdeeject %v
Name=Eject

[Desktop Entry]
Actions=Eject
Dev=/dev/sda4
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=zip_mount
MountPoint=
ReadOnly=false
Type=FSDevice
UnmountIcon=zip_unmount
X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel

Thanks,

Latem

Edited by Latem

Ok I got it fixed by changing fstab, but I am not sure I understand everything:

this is how my fstab looked like:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0
none /mnt/zip2 supermount dev=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

this is the new one:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 /mnt/zip vfat umask=0,user,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,exec,quiet 0 0

any comments?

thanks,

Latem

Edited by Latem