re-install from ISO images?

papaschtroumpf

I'm sure the question has come up before but Ican't seem to find it:

I'm currently running mdk 10 OE (PowerPack) and have decided to re-install because I swapped out hte motherboard with a different model and I'm seeing some "weirdness" that I think is related to "leftover" config from the previous motherboard (the new board is an entirely different model, different chipset).

I have ISO copies of all the CDs in in my home directory (so that urpmi never again ask me to insert a CD), so I thought that maybe I could re-install from there instead of digging out my CDs (or at worse reburn them from the ISOs) and install from slow CDs.

Also, during the re-install I don't intend to nuke the /home partition (especially if I'm unstalling from ISOs in that partition!). Are ther ethings that I should delete from there before I do the re-install? I want to keep my KDS settings but I think I would rather "start over" with some applications like firefox, so I think I should delete .mozilla before the re-install.

I will back up my /etc directory befoer the re-install just in case. Anything else I should back up to be safe?

I have ISO copies of all the CDs in in my home directory (so that urpmi never again ask me to insert a CD), so I thought that maybe I could re-install from there instead of digging out my CDs (or at worse reburn them from the ISOs) and install from slow CDs.

Yes, this is posible. You can create a bootable floppy with the iso image "hd.iso" which is somewhere on CD1 (I think it is in the directory /images). Or you can create a bootable cd too, i dont remember the name of the image but read the docs in the CD to find out.

Whatever method you choose, when you reboot with the floppy/CD itll ask you for the partition and directory where the isos reside.

I did follow this method for one of my installations, id like to give you more info but im not at home.

Also, during the re-install I don't intend to nuke the /home partition (especially if I'm unstalling from ISOs in that partition!). Are ther ethings that I should delete from there before I do the re-install? I want to keep my KDS settings but I think I would rather "start over" with some applications like firefox, so I think I should delete .mozilla before the re-install.

I did reinstall once too, and I didnt format the the /home partition. Once the system rebooted after instalation I had all my previous settings, everything worked fine.

I will back up my /etc directory befoer the re-install just in case. Anything else I should back up to be safe?

I did this too! And turn out very usefull to see previous configurations.

I cp -a the /etc dir as root to my users home.

Before you do that, you might want to try doing an "upgrade" reinstall which goes pretty fast since you aren't selecting any new packages. The upgrade install should redetect all your new hardware and make the appropriate configuration changes. It's worked well for me when I've changed motherboards. In fact, it's the only thing that the upgrade option is good for IMHO.

If you want to do a hard drive install, you'll have to do some manipulation of the files on your isos per this link from the FAQ section:

http://fhj52.tripod.com/linux/MDK_HD_INSTALL.html

It's kind of a hassle so I'd try the upgrade install first.

If you want to do a hard drive install, you'll have to do some manipulation of the files on your isos per this link from the FAQ section:

http://fhj52.tripod.com/linux/MDK_HD_INSTALL.html

It's kind of a hassle so I'd try the upgrade install first.

None of what is said in that link is needed for a HD installation.

How old is the article of the link? For what i have read is from mdk 9.0 so its about 2 years old.

I repit: I DID AN HD INSTALL OF 10.0 OE (and it was really simple)

Edited by feralertx

You can manipulate the isos using SoulSe's suggestion but I'm fairly certain you need to add the rpms from cd-2 and cd-3 per the above link. In fact, I had to do so with 10.1-beta1; didn't try with 10OE.

The problem was that the hard drive install would recognize and use only one iso, i.e. cd-1, so you will only get the rpms from cd-1 installed. That works but you get a fairly minimal and incomplete installation. It was a real pain and if that was fixed in 10OE that would be great but I don't think it was. It was deifinitely not fixed as of mdk9.2 IIRC. Anyone else have more recent experience with this on mdk10OE?