cp command

Hello,

I have mdk9.0 on hdb, mdk10.0 on hda. I want to copy files from /home/me/

on hdb > /home/me/ on hda. If I'm in /home/me/ on hdb, do i type:

cp myfile /dev/hda/home/me? man cp did not answer my question.

TIA

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

tyme,

Yes I want to move all of /home/me/ from hdb > hda. Would both drives be mounted at boot?

Both are linux drives, no windoze on this computer or 'vfat' systems. Could I backup to a CD, then restore to the new drive? Hda is a 20g that at one time was win98se, and will be used now for a test of mdk10. After I see if everything works, I will remove the 20g hda(master) and move the 80g hdb

(slave) > as master hda and install a faster 40g as hdb. Then install mdk10 on hda. Hdb will be for pics/mp3's and backups....

TIA

Do you have the two Hard drive Partitions mounted so that when you are in one OS you can readily see the other OSs partitions. If you cannot then you CANNOT copy anything to the other OSs Partition on the other hard drive no matter what you type into a console to copy a file across.

And if they are mounted so that they can see one another then it is just as easy to Copy and Paste via Konquerer. In console the correct way to copy from one folder to another place is as follows:-

cp / <your choice of directory>/ <your choice of folder>/ <your chosen file> / <your destination directory>/<your destination folder>/

NOTE: There is a space after cp. cp is the instruction. The section after it says what File or Folder is to be copied. There is a space after <your chosen file> and the next section is the destination.

Instruction------------> From-----------------> To.

Now if your two hard drives are not mounted so that they can see one another then that can easily be set up by using Mandrake Control Centre in BOTH Mandrake OSs.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello retiredff.

If you do it the way I suggested then you won't have to waste money burning CDs all the time just to transfer data. Or use CD-RWs and you can reuse the Disk over and over again. But doing as I suggest means you can do simple Cut or Copy and then Paste anytime you want.

When you open Mandrake Control Centre, click on Mountpoints then Partitions. There you will see all of the partitions of your two harddrives. The one you are already in will show all the names of your partitions whereas the other hard drives partitions will be nameless and just showing the divisions that represent the partitions. Just click on one of these unnamed Linux partitions in the other hard drive and then click on MountPoint. In the window that opens up, type /other OS (or a name of your choice) and click on OK Then you will see a MOUNT button appear in the existing list of buttons. Click on Mount and then DONE (near the Bottom right side). And then Ok on the drop down window which asks whether to save the setting to /etc/fstab.

Now when you click on Home and open up Konquerer and click on the UP arrow near the top , you will see the newly mounted partition from the other Os on your other hard drive. You can open it and freely move files etc. in and out as if it was one of your present OSs partitions.

One special note of warning. If you do anything in ROOT mode and you screw up your OS then there is a chance that you can screw up that partition as well. Therefore I would recommend that until you want to move files across, then temporarily re-enter MCC and UNMOUNT the partition until you are actually ready to use it.

Have a go, it is not hard .

Cheers. John.