Installation Hang/Loop - hdc timeout and ATAPI reset

Guest robstitt

Agree with all of the above. Look at your error messages. They're telling you your hardware can't read the CD and the timeout set in your hardware has been exceeded. It tries again only to get the same result. You've got some older hardware(relatively) that may not be able to handle some of the newer CDR media currently on the market(at least with the drivers available during the install); either that or it's a marginal burn that the drive is having trouble reading. Try reburning at a slower rate; try reburning with a different media type(i.e. brand). If that doesn't help, post back. There are ways to install by copying the CDs to a FAT32 partition on your hard drive and installing directly of the hard drive. One way or another we can get you going.

Guest robstitt

While the CD drive in that system is relatively new, I "borrowed" my brand new CD/DVD ROM drive from my other system. That didn't have any problems reading the first Mandrake 9 disk...indicating some sort of compatibility issue with that drive and either Mandrake 9 or the CD I had.

However...now, I'm stuck on another problem. During the install, it switches to the second CD and starts loading packages. During the loading, I get a couple dozen "error installing package" messages on the second disk before the install hangs completely (the messages are not necessarily one right after another at first, but seem to get that way towards the end). I was installing onto two drives, a 6 GB and a 5 GB. The first time I tried, I was only using 1 drive and thought space might be the issue, so that's when I dug up another drive--it bombed on the same packages. I'm of half a mind to see if that is a problem with the CD...but that's probably a topic for a new posting. Thanks for the help!

PS: any thoughts on how I can "verify" the correctness of the CDs under WinNT (e.g., compute a checksum)?? I say WinNT because that's what my "working" compter is running, now that I've only got a partial Linux install completed!

Well now that you've at least got a running Mandrake system you can put the origional cdrom back in and finish installing the other packages via ftp.

After that you could run another check on the cdrom to see it it reads other discs well or not. If not then its no real hurry to put a new one in. You can always connect to the win box and use its cdrom.(I think, don't have NT to check)

From your post, I'm not sure whether you have Mandrake up and running yet. You can get a minimal install of Mandrake using only CD1. If you haven't gotten that far, try reinstalling in expert mode and tick only CD1 when it asks what CDs you have. Once you have Mandrake up and running see if you can read CD2 &3 OK. Then go in the package manager, add CD2 & 3 to your sources and see if you can install the additional packages you want from there.