Kernel panic, no init...!!!

Hi all, any one give a suggestion to fix, I downloaded the new kernel, although I know that you don't have to keep up to the bleeding edge with Linux, I just could not help myself, anyway now on reboot into the new kernel 2.6.3.14, i get a kernel panic, no init, I can boot into 2.6.3.11 and that is ok.

My question is

1. what went wrong,

2. how do i put it right

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Try commenting out the line init=whatever in the relevent section of /etc/lilo.conf. (put a hash in front of it.

Then run lilo as root

See if that helps

Also, have you compiled in ext3 or whatever file system you are using (ie not as a module)

Chris

I ran into a problem like yours when I upgraded from 2.6.3-9 to 2.6.3-13. I my case it was due a very specific hardware setup. I run an ASUS A7V600 MB that supports serial ATA, but I have only parallel IDE drives installed. The early releases of 10 CE and OE kernels assigned hde to my first hard drive instead of the usual hda (and all other drivers in order hdf, hdg, hdh). In 2.6.3-13, the kernel has been changed to assign the first drive to hda, as in past. This of course screws up anything that uses /etc/fstab or keeps information about drive assignments.

If you have this problem the fix is to do the following:

After installing your new kernel, but before rebooting you have to alter your /etc/fstab file to use the correct drive assignments for the new kernel. You'll want to keep a copy of the old version handy incase you need to restore it. Reboot your machine and when you get to the lilo boot section, hit ESC to get a boot prompt and bypass the lilo graphic menu. Then boot your kernel specifying the new root partition, overriding the entry in your lilo file.

boot linux root=/dev/hda

(Assuming hda is your linux boot drive, hdb in my case). This should take you into the boot sequence. When the init scripts reach the "detecting new hardware" section, your drives will all be detected as new and you will be asked to configure them. The suggested configuration should be correct, but review it carefully and correct it if necessary. Once your up and running on the new kernel, check your /etc/fstab (it will likely have been modified) and then update /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the new drive assignments (and run lilo -v). After you have done this you will no longer be able to boot the old kernels without going through this whole process all over again.

Be sure to keep your installation CD's handy in case something goes wrong. You can always boot from CD and use the repair mode to mount your drives and restore your old /etc/fstab file (the one you backed up).