ptys prob with upgrade from 9.1 to 10 official

astrobabe

Hi there,

Not a linux newbie, but afraid enough that I'll screw something up.

Originally I had Mandrake 9.1 on my laptop. I finally decided to upgrade to 10.0 official onece I got a wireless card and found out the support was better in 10.0.

Upgraded and everything seemed great. . .until I logged in as a user on my machine. I use xgterms. Haven't heard of them? Well there is a reason- only us astronomers use them. Even worse is that we need xgterms to run our software (IRAF).

When I try to run an xgterm as a user I get the "xgterm: no available ptys" error.

As root I tried

makedev ptys

but that didn't seem to work as I still get the same error.

Now as root logged into the graphical interface (yes yes I know don't do that) I can get an xgterm to run. Any ideas what I can do next? I'm tried finding the kernel out there to do a rebuild and can't find the one with the appropriate mandrake tweaks.

Other question- I use grub. Now when I boot there are like 8 boot options including variants of "old-linus". How the heck do I get rid of some of those options? I know I should keep the regular boot option and failsafe and floppy but there are a few superfluous options there.

Although I've no clue what xgterms are, if you can launch it when logged on as root but not as a regular user, you may not have rights to it. Or, when you're logged on as root, a configuration file may be different than the user's, since it may be in /root instead of /home/user.

Sorry if I'm way off here.

Try this for Grub.

Edited by somedude