cant get LVM2 working in Mandrake10, PLZ help

Guest feilsch_hering

Guest feilsch_hering

I installed mandrake10 official and after that i istalled the rmps dmsetup and lvm2 but its still not working.

commands for lvm are not availabe (pvcreate, vgdisplay...)

when i look on the lvm-module in webmin it tells me "the LVM statusdirectory /proc/lvm does not exist. this indicates that your kernal does not support LVM, or that the lvm-mod kernel module is not loaded"

but the lvm-packages are on the cd, so it should work normally, or am i missing something?

thanks

[Welcome to the board :) - I deleted your duplicate post - spinynorman]

• 3 weeks later...

Admitedly I know nothing about LVM except that it stands for Logical Volume Mgmt and that one of the reasons for using it is to allow for partitions to grow beyond their physical size by treating two or more disks as one unit.. (uumm.. wish i had the resources to play with that..)

Anyway.. have you actually looked to see if the LVM mod has been loaded like the webmin message suggested?

lsmod | grep lvm (maybe) and if not loaded, then you need to find the name of the module (/lib/modules/<kernel version number.mdk/kernel/drivers/) and use modprobe to load it. Of course, there's probably tons of crud I'm forgetting or just to ignorant about this subject .. sooo...

best of luck..

• 1 month later...
Guest wperkhiser

As near as I can tell, Webmin version 1.150 (and below) does not support LVM2 (yet). The /proc/lvm file / directory does not exist (at least in my installations).

When you try the LVM commands (pvscan, etc.) does it give an error message, or does the command not found happen instead? (Remember, I'm pretty sure you have to be root to use those commands, so.....)

Wes

:oops: P.S. I did an upgrade from Mandrake 9.? to 10.0. The older version used LVM-1; I didn't realize that the new release uses LVM-2. The commands (on my machine) fail by complaining that the driver/module is not loaded. However, the LVM disks that I had made were still mounting just fine. Go figure....

I installed mandrake10 official and after that i istalled the rmps dmsetup and lvm2 but its still not working.

commands for lvm are not availabe (pvcreate, vgdisplay...)

when i look on the lvm-module in webmin it tells me "the LVM statusdirectory /proc/lvm does not exist. this indicates that your kernal does not support LVM, or that the lvm-mod kernel module is not loaded"

but the lvm-packages are on the cd, so it should work normally, or am i missing something?

Edited by wperkhiser

• 2 months later...
Guest gbelabein

I just figured out the way it --now-- works :

you're used to commands like 'vgdisplay', 'pvdisplay' ...

try ''lvm vgdisplay" ; "lvm vgdisplay -v vg00", etc...

:D