DVD player problems

Guest BBX

Hi,

I have a problem. I couldnt find any info on google about it so that is why I'm making a post here. Hope you experts can help me out ^_^

On my old compaq computer, I want to run my first linux.

Its an AMD-K6 with 300 MHZ and 64 MB ram. Used to run Windows 98.

The problem is that when I insert the installation(boot)disk it will not read it because they sold me a crappy DVD player back then. It refuses to read CD-R(w)s.

Ive tried using a boot floppy instead and after that telling it to launch the installdisk but this doesnt work either.

When I try the network install it just hangsup. It does recognise the ethernet adapter though.....

Well any help on the matter would be good :)

Tnx - BBX`

BBX,

Glad to see you turning to the light :thumbs:

First your processor (300mhz) will do but it will be slow. I run a AMD K6/3 400mhz.

Second you are going to need ram. Probably no less than 128mb or ram. 256mb if able.

What you may end up having to do is replace or add a newer cdrom. Installing without a bootable cdrom is possible but not easy. I can'nt help you there.

So for probably less than 100 bucks you can get a few more years out of your computer.

Tnx for your reply,

I will consider the replacement of my DVD for a CD-rom or something which can read CD-R/RWs and maybe even the extra RAM.

But if there are possibilitys to do it without the bootable then i'd like to try those first. See how it runs you know.... :)

BBX`

THere's a couple of other possibilities

The first is to burn it on a CDR, as many drives that refuse to use CDRW's will read CDR's just fine. I have a number of devices in my house that are that way.

barring that, you can put the ISO's on your harddrive if you have the space, boot from the floppy, mount the iso's as disks and install away. specific directions are easily found if you search.

Or, you could coppy all the CD contents to a directory on your hard drive, and use the boot floppy to install that way, instructions are easily found by searching.

Last but not least, since it reccognizes your net adapter, you can always connect to a network and do a network install. Once again, just search the board for directions.

I think I will try the mount CD thingy....

hope that works for me. Ill search for instructions on google, if I cant find any ill come back here to beg for help again :P

tnx guys, think I might like this Linux ^_^