i586 images of 9.0

Guest Thulemanden

Guest Thulemanden

I've heard there are some patch CD's out for Mandrake 9.0 to use for people running i586 processors like VIA C3.

I was not able to install 9.0 on my VIA Epia mini-itx mainboard not even with the alternate kernes 2.2.* and even 8.2 ran poorly with many crashes.

My question is: how do I get hold of the image cd's that let you install oi586-like? It's said it's a quiet release and the images well hidden.

Any hints please?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SunnyJim

Okay, I guess I am not understanding what you mean by a i586-patched Mandrake CD. What are the problems you are having with the current CDs? Do you not get an installer at all? Does it install but not boot?

I'm not as familiar with the C3. I've heard that it has some i686 optimizations but is not completely i686 compliant. But my understanding is that an i586 optimized kernel and software (like the Mandrake distribution) should work fine. I run Mandrake on an original Pentium - 120 MHz processor and a Pentium 120 processor (both i586) and don't have any problems.

Let us know what your problems are specifically and we might be able to point you in the right direction.