Burn Mandrake 10 on DVD

dawnii

Hi,

I have only a simple question :

For the moment I have no running linux. But I'm downloading Mandrake 10.0 for now from a ftp server. Problem is, there is still no image of a DVD available, so I'm downloading for now the whole tree of the dist.. The tree looks like I could burn it to a DVD-R, but I would need still a boot image. I didn't checked if there is a boot image on the ftp.

So is it possible to burn simply the tree on dvd, add the boot image (make a bootable dvd) an install then?

Or would it be easier to compile iso files in an older linux or other dist like knoppix an burn them onto cds (because I know, doing this will create something like 4 cds and the first is bootable).

Thanx in advance

Your question not seems to simple to me...

Until know never tryed, but Why you need to put it to a DVD?

I Recomment you to leave the downloaded tree in your hard disk and install from it (better from a fat 32 partition)

For me is the easiest way.

In the images directory (pub/Linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/

look for the boot.iso image, burn it to a CD y launch your PC from it, choose installation from a hard disk and you are done...

To copy the tree to the DVD is redundant because you always will need the boot image (floppy, or an alternative CD driver) and if your drive is too new chances are that it can not be recognized at install level.

In linux the easy way is exactly that... the easy way.

Guest kratos

I've already done what you're talking about.

Do the following:

mkisofs -v -V Mandrake10DVD -r -J -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o mandrake10dvd.iso c:\mandrake10\pub\Linux\Mandrakelinux\official\10.0\i586\

This will produce a bootable DVD named "mandrake10dvd.iso . Make sure you have the entire set of files and folders from the ftp server

(i.e everything from '/official/10.0/i586/' ) You can get mkisofs for windows from several places (google it). Or just download and install burnatonce and open a command line and go to the burnatonce 'bin' directory (it contains mkisofs). Then burn the ISO to a dvd.