SATA drive install problem

cowwee

Hi,

I am a (very) Newbie to Linux, and am trying to install 10 rc1 for AMD64 onto a WD250Gb SATA drive, but its not working.

I have 3 drives, the other 2 being NTFS with various files from my old XP install. I have run the setup, and tried all the different format options, but keep getting an error. It says the "ext3 formatting of sda6 failed". i am using the whole drive for this install. Can someone help please?

I would also appreciate it if anyone has a link to a site that explains all the basics of getting started using mandrake, as i have only played with release 9 for a week or two a while ago, and am not experienced in linux!

Cheers in advance!

:wall:

Can you map out your 3 drives in a post? What I would do is boot the CD1, do the install and select CUSTOM PARTITIONING. Then you will get a graphical image of all three drives. Write it down on paper and post here so we can see what you have? When done writing, just reboot your computer to cancel the install..

:P

i have tried every thing i can think of.

I have ended up moving data from a IDE drive to the SATA drive and tried installing onto that drive...but still with the same error.

Am using Partition magic at the mo to make:

6Gb Linux Ext3

500Mb Linux Swap

remaining 190Gb Linux Ext2

will try again soon.

:cheeky: